Need some help on Plumbing the return pump higher then my sump

primesuspekt

ok after thinking all night and morning about whether I should plumb my sump outside or not I came to my sences an decided not to. I will plumb it underneath my tank but I am going to plumb the return pump outside at window level for noise issues. I know it will be above the sump therfore requiring me to prime it now if I put a check valve at the sump to keep the water from flowing back if the power fails or i turn off the pump for maintenance will that keep me from having to prime the pump again.

Also Is there anything that someone see wrong if i plumb the pump higher then the sump? as far as reducing the GPH ext.

The pump may cavitate and had some trouble pulling the water as the inlet will not have a positive suction pressure so you may need a special pump designed to work under those conditions. The flow also will be reduced and potentially if the check valve fail (most eventually do) even if you prevent water returning by breaking the syphon back via a hole in the return line at the water surface you run the risk of running the pump dry which may damage it if you are not there to stop it.
Can you dig a hole and place the pump on the bottom? You may use a plastic sump like the one used in basements or a cut garbage can to hold the hole walls. Note that you will need to provide some means for ventilation taht prevent rain or irrigation water filling it.

Just buy a decent pump and stop trying to be so fancy ;) I have a mag 9.5 in my sump and it hardly makes a sound and I know there are pumps that are even quieter.

Just my opinion but I think the whole idea is a bad one and is asking for trouble. I would put a Mag 9 or 12 in the sump. Mags are not very noisy and won't make any more noise that your ER skimmer is already making.

Dave

ok I give up based on all the bad an no good. thats out of the way now i need info on pumps how are the Velocity T4 pumps? I have used Iwaki 70 RLT but the huming sound has taken its toll. I feel like im deaf while at home and have to have the TV full blast to override the hum. What are the most silent ( well i know there not completely silent) external pump out there that I should look at ? I was told Velocity T4 but never tried them.

Back