need to build a new sump/refugium

coryjones

Premium Member
Anyone built one or no of one that works better then another? Not sure on the size of the tank i will be using. It is for my new 220 i have a 55 and a 125 but think the 125 and the 220 might be to heavy. I don't no that i would have the room to do both in a 55 i don't want to have to add water every day would like a large sump. I have read alot about the setup of these with no real awnser right now i have a 55 sump for filtering and then it pumps up to the refugium that gravity drains in to the tank so not to grind up copodes and such just added 20 red mangrove trees to it.

I haven't done much sump work. Mine is a 29 gallon for my 55 display. www.melevsreef.com discusses a bunch of sump related items, but he works mostly with acryllic. I'm not sure where to point you for advice. If you don't want to have to top off as often, make the chamber that the pump is in bigger with a taller divider wall. You could also consider auto top off options. With my tanks in the basement, weight wouldn't be an issue, but I'm not sure how to tell you to estimate the amount of weight that your floor could support.

I picked up a 75g to build it out of and i think i am going to use a 20 too as a refugium i think. As far as the floor supporting the wieght i will end up adding supports i am sure anyway. Thanks for the help though.

Back