Need your ideas for clean air for skimmer

Webmanny

Hi guys,

I noticed that when I installed an outsider fan for tenting the house, my PH was super stable at 8.2 and corals looked better. Therefore, I decided to run a line outside directly from the skimmer intake. My question is, how can I add an inline filter to make sure "dirty" air doesn't get to the skimmer?

I would like something simple that I can install inline maybe using carbon to filter air as it comes in.

i use a 2little fishes reactor, can run w carbon, or c02 absorbing media during the winter when the air is not on much, lowering my ph even more.

i use a 2little fishes reactor, can run w carbon, or c02 absorbing media during the winter when the air is not on much, lowering my ph even more.
+1 on that. I use co2 absorber when I half to close up the house but carbon should work to filter outside air and definitely would be alot cheaper the co2 absorber

Use an rodi canister but fill it with air phase carbon. The outlet of the canister screw in a fitting that fits the skimmer airline. Plug it in and done. I had my old tank setup this way

Use an rodi canister but fill it with air phase carbon. The outlet of the canister screw in a fitting that fits the skimmer airline. Plug it in and done. I had my old tank setup this way

I like this idea. I can find an old rodi canister and give this a try. I do have a quick question on this one. What is "air phase carbon" and where can I get it?

I used an empty 1 gallon mag container from BRS. Drilled a hole near the bottom and connected 1/2" vinyl tubing to outside air, filled 3/4 full with carbon then a sheet of felt on top then popped a 3/8" hole in top and ran vinyl tuping from there to skimmer.

I used an empty 1 gallon mag container from BRS. Drilled a hole near the bottom and connected 1/2" vinyl tubing to outside air, filled 3/4 full with carbon then a sheet of felt on top then popped a 3/8" hole in top and ran vinyl tuping from there to skimmer.

Hey Joe,

How often to you change the carbon on it? I was looking online at some of the links provided, but that carbon is really expensive. I wondered if there was a cheaper option.

I like the idea of a container filled with carbon to clean the air. I was even thinking that a media reactor like a TLF 150 or something like that should work great.

I had an old three stage RO unit that I disassembled, and used the canisters to make both a CO scrubber using soda lime, and an air cleaner for an outside air source using carbon.

CO2Reactor_zpsf9aabee3.jpg

I have like 20lbs of air phase carbon I need to post for sale. Since I moved my tanks I no longer need my skimmer line outside. If u r interested message me. I'm sure the price is right. Don't quote me on the weight yet I can weigh it but it's a pretty large box of the stuff

I have like 20lbs of air phase carbon I need to post for sale. Since I moved my tanks I no longer need my skimmer line outside. If u r interested message me. I'm sure the price is right. Don't quote me on the weight yet I can weigh it but it's a pretty large box of the stuff

Thank you Roger. I went to one of my LFS yesterday after work and got some from them.

Back