1 linespot flasher wrasse 10 trochus snail
1 yellow watchman goby 1 emerald crab
1 diamond goby 10 nassarius snail
1 magnificient fox face 1 red fire shrimp
1 yellow tang
1 regal tang
1 naso tang
1 powder blue tang

I need suggestions is this list good? I love Naso tang and would love him to be in my tank, i can remove any fish/fishes except him. And i have decided to add Naso cause i have read and researched a lot, and it says in many places that Naso tang grow to 12"-15" only in wild, captive bred grow max to 10".
Will there be any aggression issues among tangs i'll be adding them together. I don't have any fish yet so please don't smash me if list is bad or overstocked.

Secondly need suggestion for a reef and invert safe wrasse that will have purpose i.e. to eat pests from lps in tank. I'll remove flasher wrasse if any so option is available. Will keep only lps, softy tank that too in a year or so.

I think you’re fine on stocking as long as you keep up on water changes. I had a very similar list for about 2 years in a 150. I added the powder blue last, and it was a big one. My yellow tang and powder blue tang would sometimes go at it, but nothing catastrophic. If you can, I would proactively treat all your fish with prazi pro and cupramine. You have a few fish that are susceptible to disease.

In terms of wrasses that will eat pests, I like my melanurus wrasse. Some people say they go after cleaner shrimp, mine never has. I have not had one but I think yellow coris are also pretty. Either way I don’t think it will significant increase your bioload.

Final thought: I have a blonde naso tang and he is the reason I upgraded to an 8’ 300 gallon tank. He is far and away my wife’s favorite fish. He is beautiful, great personality and gentle demeanor, but he is huge. He is maybe 8.5-9 inches + 2 inch streamers and probably 2-2.5 inches wide. He was maybe 3 inches when I got him two years ago. My point being he is probably too big for my 300 gallon.

Good luck either way!

Most folks will recommend a bigger tank for any Naso sp tang...somewhere in the 8' x 2-3' range.

The yellow coris (Halichoeres chysus) is a great suggestion for a wrasse. Although a little delicate to get started, the leopard wrasses are supposedly great pest eaters.

I think you're fine on stocking as long as you keep up on water changes. I had a very similar list for about 2 years in a 150. I added the powder blue last, and it was a big one. My yellow tang and powder blue tang would sometimes go at it, but nothing catastrophic. If you can, I would proactively treat all your fish with prazi pro and cupramine. You have a few fish that are susceptible to disease.

In terms of wrasses that will eat pests, I like my melanurus wrasse. Some people say they go after cleaner shrimp, mine never has. I have not had one but I think yellow coris are also pretty. Either way I don't think it will significant increase your bioload

Final thought: I have a blonde naso tang and he is the reason I upgraded to an 8' 300 gallon tank. He is far and away my wife's favorite fish. He is beautiful, great personality and gentle demeanor, but he is huge. He is maybe 8.5-9 inches + 2 inch streamers and probably 2-2.5 inches wide. He was maybe 3 inches when I got him two years ago. My point being he is probably too big for my 300 gallon.

Good luck either way!

Thank you for your advice, ill reconsider the naso in my tang but its really hard for me to let it go. Anyways can you please elaborate your qt procedure like i have decided to qt every fish 1 week in prazi and 2 weeks in cupramine. Total 3 weeks of medication and 1 week for the fish to recover and get healthy before going in dt.
About wrasses, will melanurus or yellow coris be compatible with fairy and flasher wrasse? And among the two of them which one is an avid pest eater.

Most folks will recommend a bigger tank for any Naso sp tang...somewhere in the 8' x 2-3' range.

The yellow coris (Halichoeres chysus) is a great suggestion for a wrasse. Although a little delicate to get started, the leopard wrasses are supposedly great pest eaters.

I have been reading a lot about marine fishes, and one thing is stated everywhere that only flasher and fairy go on well together, other wrasses don't. And fairy and flasher are timid and will be killed by other wrasse, what's your take on leopard and yellow coris are they compatible with flasher and fairy?

Thank you for your advice, ill reconsider the naso in my tang but its really hard for me to let it go. Anyways can you please elaborate your qt procedure like i have decided to qt every fish 1 week in prazi and 2 weeks in cupramine. Total 3 weeks of medication and 1 week for the fish to recover and get healthy before going in dt.
About wrasses, will melanurus or yellow coris be compatible with fairy and flasher wrasse? And among the two of them which one is an avid pest eater.

Of course. At the end of the day it's your decision, just know that it is a big fish.

I like to do 2 weeks of prazi, 2 weeks of cupramine (slowly raising the level over a few days), then watch them for a few days after treatment. Quarantine comes from the Italian "forty days", so if you want to be a stickler, you should go 6 weeks, but I have found 4-5 weeks to be fine. Be careful, I have not had problems with prazi pro, but cupramine can be hard on some fish. I have sometimes limited the dose on dwarf angelfish and anthias.

My melanurus wrasse has no problem with other wrasses, I assume yellow coris would be the same.

Regal tangs and Naso Tangs were a love of mine in the past. I was lucky to find both very small at a LFS. They both outgrew my 6' 125 gallon in about three years. I hated to give them away. The older the Naso got the better looking it was. Water quality really was hard to keep up with due to their endless appetites and speed in which they eat everything. I tended to overfeed trying give the other fish a chance to get some food. My suggestion is to use filtration for a 300 gallon system and buy the smallest specimens you can find. More time to enjoy them.

Back