Nem for my clowns ?

Vlado4x4

I have a pair of Percula and a pair of Ocelaris.

Which nem would suit the best ? Do i need 1 for each pair ? The 4 of them move as a group.

I have a 220g by the way with lots of circulation (SPS system)

Thanks !

Natural hosts for both species would be gigantea and magnifica. I hope they continue to be a happy bunch for you without too many squabbles.

natural hosts will give you the best chance of the clowns however it is possible to get the clowns to enter into a relationship with other species of anemone. It is important to remember however that there are no guarantees as to whether the clownfish will host with the anemone.

In the wild typically A. percula are found in groups with a dominant female a mating male and anywhere from 0-4 non breeders. As you've stated you have a pair of A.percula and A.occelaris that move around in a group, as the two species are almost identical i am not surprised they travel around together although i doubt that there will be a dominant female and a breeder male.

You could get two anemones in the hope that that each pair host with a particular anemone however as i said it is hit or miss.

Another factor to consider is as you've said you have an SPS system, when first introducing an anemone into the aquarium it will move around to find a place that it 'likes' this could be detrimental to any surrounding corals that get stung by the anemone.

HTH
Josh

Thank you garygb.

Amazing explanation Josh, simply amazing. I had a H. Crispa for severall months, but the didn´t even got close to it. I gave it away to a friend who had a Clarki and it took only one day for the Clarki to start the Simbiosis. Only 1 day !!

That´s way i made this post. Between the gigantea and the magnifica which one would grow less ? Because of the SPS i mean. The bigger they get ... the more chances i have for them to burn my corals.

h.magnifica commonly known as the ritteri anemone has been known in the wild to grow up to 1m in diameter. (thats a lot of tentacles lol)

In terms of size c.gigantea will not grow as large or as quick. I should also note that these two anemones are considered among the hardest to keep in captivity.

on a side note i believe i read somewhere that given the perfect conditions anemones can live forever and hence grow forever.

Josh

Back