Never Buy A Yamaha 250

liverock

RC Sponsor
This is what happen to us after purchasing a new $15,000 Yamaha 250 HP outboard motor!

Yamaha outboard engine 250-2 cycle 2 stroke fuel injection model#z250txrb purchase date 06/30/03 motor needs 10 hours to break in ran engine 6 hours sparkplugs foul out changed plugs got to 10 hours took engine to dealer for 10 hour inspection they did a recall on the oil rods ,coils,powerpack this is 3 recalls!at 10 hours. At 16 hours the sparkplugs foul out again changed plugs ran 7 more hours plugs foul again at 23 hours!change the sparkplugs again run the engine 7 more hours the engine stops running on # 3 cylinder the spark plugs foul again!changeplugs at 30 hours run engine 7 more hours plugs foul again! At 37 hours! Take back to dealer they do 3 more recalls on motor they change the computer brain ,oil pump,and up grade the plug to a hotter running plug#ngkbkr6eku.Thruout the entire 37 hours the motor idles poorly and runs ruff and sputters between 1500 and 2000 rpms real bad!!! I run the engine 7 more hours the spark plugs foul out again! I call the dealer they tell me that my battery wires are no good I change them at a cost of $140.00 dollars makes no difference motor still runs same at 44 hours I change the spark plugs again at $15.00 per plug !!!

Today 12/12/03...motor blows up.

Only 71 hours on this motor, BEWARE of Yamaha 2-stroke 250HP motors!

Richard TBS

Richard, sorry to hear about your problems. Suprising since that motor is usually a real work horse. I've got buddies that ran 4 or 5 pairs of twin 250's for thousands of hours,. and other than spending a lot on gas and oil, no real problems arised. Get your dealer to install a new powerhead under warranty and I'd be willing to bet you'll have little or no problems in the future (just be sure to decarb every 50 hours).

200 4-stroke

200 4-stroke

I also purchased a 200HP 4-stroke, is BY FAR the best outboard I have ever had, and I have had 22 motors in the last 30 years...

Uses no fuel compared to a 2-stroke...almost 4 miles to the gallon, is so quiet you can listen to the radio at full spead.....took it from Key Largo to Bimini 91 miles in 3 hours and 13 min. and used 31 gallons of fuel....have never had one minutes problem with it.....

As far as having a new powerhead for this 250HP, I would not keep this motor if they gave it to me for free....I have NEVER had such nightmares with an outboard before....am filing suit gainst Yamaha next week for defective product, as this is as defective as they get, besides the lost income issues.

Good thing we have a spare boat to go to work tomorrow!
Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com :rollface:

Sorry to hear about your troubles.
But on the positive side at least your work includes boating...
I should be so lucky. :D

Good Luck,
Cam

Back