New 180 gal gap between stand and aquarium

Elbandito78

I recently bought a new 180 gallon from the local aquarium shop. While I was plumbing it, I noticed that in the center of the aquarium there is a small gap between it and the stand which runs for about 3 ft. I can easily fit three credit cards between the stand and the aquarium. The corners are all touching.

I measured the ground the aquarium is on and the aquarium itself and both are level.

I contacted the store, who contacted the manufacturer. They said that "once being filled the weight of it will correct it". Not sure if this legitimate or if they are not wanting to fix the issue. Reading through some threads I saw a lot of varying opinions. Some people said that the glass does settle into the frame or that as long as the four corners were flush it would be fine. While others said that any gap is going to be a problem eventually.

Pics of the gap, the gap with credit cards, the corner brace, and one of the center braces that you can see is slightly(about 1/8") shorter than the corner brace.

Attachments

• gap1.jpeg
    gap1.jpeg
    444.4 KB · Views: 17
  • gap2.jpg
    gap2.jpg
    531.8 KB · Views: 16
  • gap3.jpeg
    gap3.jpeg
    690.2 KB · Views: 18
  • gap4.jpeg
    gap4.jpeg
    594.5 KB · Views: 16
I would risk it with like a 30g tank, but not a 180g. The unevenly supported glass will be under a huge amount of stress and my fear would be that the seams or the glass itself would fail at some point. Some people place foam insulation boards under the tank to provide support for small gaps, but a 3 foot long gap would require quite a leap of faith. I doubt the plywood top will "correct itself" if the the center support is shorter.

I would have to agree. I’m not sure I’d risk it but perhaps putting a leveling mat between the tank and stnad would work instead

I would risk it with like a 30g tank, but not a 180g. The unevenly supported glass will be under a huge amount of stress and my fear would be that the seams or the glass itself would fail at some point. Some people place foam insulation boards under the tank to provide support for small gaps, but a 3 foot long gap would require quite a leap of faith. I doubt the plywood top will "correct itself" if the the center support is shorter.
I was thinking that about the stress on the glass as well. Although, I did read that putting something under it in the gap can cause stress in other ways once it starts to settle.

I was thinking that about the stress on the glass as well. Although, I did read that putting something under it in the gap can cause stress in other ways once it starts to settle.
You can't only put in in the gap. Styrofoam, yoga mats, cardboard, whatever, would have to cover the entire stand and then crush where it needs to and not where it needs not.

Hi Elbandito, I have the identical issue with my new 90 gallon and stand. Although, my gaps are not as dramatic as yours. Mine are 1/32 in. at the most. Although one does run about 3 feet in the front similar to yours. This is new to me, I've never had this happen before. I'm thinking of running a bead of caulk or similar on the top of the stand then covering the bottom of the aquarium with maybe wax paper and setting it there while the caulk dries. If I try this out I'll let you know how it goes.

Back