New build/Need sump plumbing advice

vincemo22

I bought a new deep blue 57 gallon rimless and it came with the following sump: https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/r-200-refugium-3rd-generation-medium-30-x-14-x-16-eshopps/?utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_source=bc&gclid=Cj0KEQiApqTCBRC-977Hi9Ov8pkBEiQA5B_ipbiCeI8R3r9Fjk1nWNVfmMxKwctDvj7-5trvyBzkhAgaAlGM8P8HAQ

Never set up plumbing before but don't want to miss out on anything or skimp. First off, why does this sump have two drain holes into the sump? Also, I want to use gate valves where necessary, any product recommendations? And, I want to have a line run off, I assume drain, to accommodate a valve for GFO. What are the small valves for this called and how many valves should i add to take into consideration of new equip add-ons? I assume return pipe will simply be one line back to the aquarium? Anything I am missing? As of right now, I will only have gfo, skimmer, heater, and return pump in sump.

Some pics of the build are included!

Attachments

• IMG_3988.jpg
    IMG_3988.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4011.jpg
    IMG_4011.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4015.jpg
    IMG_4015.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4077.jpg
    IMG_4077.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4097.jpg
    IMG_4097.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
It has two holes so you can use the Herbie or Bean Animal overflow set up.

Bulk Reef Supply sells Cepex valves.

Typically the reactors are run off of a manifold coming off the return pump.

You might want to watch the plumbing episode from BRStv 52 Weeks of Reefing on Youtube.

OK, so if I only have one overfill drill hole I wont be using both holes in sump, right?
Thanks

Yes, if I remember correctly Deep blue has a 1" drain hole and is set up for a durso type drain. So the other hole in the sump would be unused. Most definately use gate valves, much easier to fine tune!

thats part of my uncertainty, where to use the gate valves? And what will need fine tuning? Thanks for all the advice!

My understanding is that you would put gate valves between both;
1:drain and sump
2:return pump and return

On the return side you can fine tune the amount of water that is being sent back to the tank. If you have too strong of a return pump, the drain won't keep up and you'll run dry in your overflow. By having a gate valve you can restrict the return so it matches the drain.

Gate valve on the drain side would make it easier for sump maintenance or I guess if you had too weak of a return pump you could restrict the drain.

If you buy a pump with an adjustable flow rate (Like the Vectras) you can adjust the flow with the controller.

The object is to get the flow coming out of the overflow to essentially match the return gph. That way you create a stable cycle of water flow. You use the gate valve on the overflow to adjust the flow of water to make that happen. In the muliti pipe set up you would want a full siphon on the main overflow pipe...that keeps it quiet.

There is an entire thread on the Bean animal, and also videos on YouTube concerning overflows and tuning. I realize you are only using one pipe (not recommended btw) but the principles remain the same. Probably easier to see it in a video than read it in type.

Back