New fish, help verify issue

milkstatus

Hello all, Just 2 days ago I acquired a spot breast angel and purple tang. The angel looked to be infested with ich. Was breathing normally, eating some, all seemed well. I freshwater dipped both fish to remove other possible parasites / ich. The fish took to it fine. This morning in the QT the angel was sadly gone. The tang is doing fine and is a voracious eater. He has a spot on his tail that he was shipped with, that did not come off in the dip. The spots on the angel do not resemble the single spot on the tang. Any ideas on what this could be? And if what the angel had in fact was ich? Any and all help is appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

• DSC00374.JPG
    DSC00374.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00381.jpg
    DSC00381.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00379.jpg
    DSC00379.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00376.JPG
    DSC00376.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00377.JPG
    DSC00377.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 0
First, fresh water dips do not cure a fish of parasites especially if they return to the same infected water. In the case of ich, there is little to no effect, but in the case of flukes or some other parasites, there is a temporary alleviation of symptoms but not a cure. Ich does not kill immediately as it is a parasite that eventually overwhelms a fish so it is fairly likely the angel had other parasites, perhaps in addition to ich. It is highly probable that the tang has the same parasites as the angel. However the white spot on the tang appears to be lymphocystis which will go away with good water and nutrition.

They were dipped in freshwater with methylene blue, I forgot to add that they were not added to the same water. It was an entirely seperate QT with all the same parameters. I did the dip to try and remove any other possible issues before treating them in the new QT. I was unsure of exactly what I should be treating tho as the tang seemed perfectly fine other than that spot. The angel obviously is a different story . I am going to switch the tang to another QT as the angel most likely infected the current tank he is in. Should I treat the tang with anything or wait and see if anything breaks out? The yellow seed looking spot on his tail is the same color yellow, could this be lympho as well? I have done some research online and the closest thing I have found in resemblance to this tail spot has been flukes. Any ideas? Thanks again

Last edited:
Tang is most likely infected since it was in the same tank as the angel regardless of the water you have it in. Bigger question is figuring out if it was ich or something else.

Tang is most likely infected since it was in the same tank as the angel regardless of the water you have it in. Bigger question is figuring out if it was ich or something else.

Exactly. The dip did not eradicate parasites.

I did the dip just to provide some relief and try to narrow down what the actual infection is. I switched the water in the tank to ensure any parasite in the water couldn't easily host to the tang. I understand internally the tang is most likely infected now as well, and needs to be treated. From what I saw on the angel it did look to me as tho it was ich , but I am not certain. Is there anything I can do to make sure? Or should I treat the fish as if it were ich (i.e. Cupramine). I know there are a wide range of parasites that would come off in externally in freshwater , and these did not.

I did the dip just to provide some relief and try to narrow down what the actual infection is. I switched the water in the tank to ensure any parasite in the water couldn't easily host to the tang. I understand internally the tang is most likely infected now as well, and needs to be treated. From what I saw on the angel it did look to me as tho it was ich , but I am not certain. Is there anything I can do to make sure? Or should I treat the fish as if it were ich (i.e. Cupramine). I know there are a wide range of parasites that would come off in externally in freshwater , and these did not.

The only parasites that would appear to exit in fresh water would be flukes. Treating all fish in copper sounds like a good step.

Back