New fork in the road - Skimming again after 6+ years

ED17D759-AF19-4DC6-8A42-21FDCB15580F.jpeg

I could use a plunger right now

You are handy, and if you have tool and brain to build that skimmer then small cleaner is few hour project top and in parts cost you closer to 20$ not 200, engine and oil seal are most expensive parts(and timer).
I mean, i do not care, i do not sale them so for me is all the same will people have them or not, but neck cleaner is upgrade, not miracle tool what produce snake oil, it alow you to keep skimming at max all the time and also alow you to not clean it for long periods of time. If we look how fast gunk create with dry skimmate to call it same a cleaning interval would be a 2 or 3 times a week not 1, and often it takes hours for bacteria and sludge to cover wall (or whatever happen) and to skimm at full power again. Beside, i do not know anyone who have a reef tank for years and do all maintence on time all the time ...
Many gadets we do 'not need', auto feeders, dosing pump, etc, but they have their place and is not useless

I don’t see how a neck cleaner could beneficial if it just puts waste back into the reaction chamber

It’s that the opposite of what the skimmer is working to do

Yes, the neck is clean but all that waste is now back in suspension only to rise back up the neck n get scraped down again

How much does performance of your skimmer decrease if you clean it out manually weekly and remove the waste completely from the aquarium

Neck cleaner seems like another gadget you don’t need that is potentially counterproductive to what your trying to do with the skimmer in the first place

Don’t forget to add the miracle mud n eco aqualizer too
It does not put all gunk back, just some gunk acumulate on it. But much less then it does on neck wall and is known that foam do not climb well over it and sometimes also brake in contact with it (gunk what was on wall get skimmed into cup, larger amount what acumulate over time on scraper hand and axle can fall into water). So what neck cleaner do, is that keep neck clean and alow foam to rise easier, is not counterproductive at all. But it is very expensive gadet in already expensive hobby, and of course that we can do it without it

Back