new guy to board, infauna Q?

saturn tech

well i am new to this board and decided to say hello and ask a quick question. Where in the peninsula/ S.F. can i find CUC/ detrivore/ infauna kit? i can find them online but i prefer to support a LFS w/ a good rep.

I am setting up my first Marine/ Reef tank. a 55 gal All Glass.

For pics of the tank in it's itsy bitsy baby stage and direct info updated every few days/ weekly. Journal on the tank.

thanks
Howie

You really wont find any LFS with infauna kits. The easiest free way is to trade some LR wit someone else for diversity. But if you really want to seed a larger amount, I prefer inlandaquatics or ispf.

I think the easiest and maybe best way would be to ask for a ball of chaeto and a cup of live sand from a local reefer who has a well established system.

I got mine from a 3 year old tank to seed my own brand new tank, and within a few weeks it was crawling with mini stars, pods, and all sorts of great animals.

I'm sure you can buy a clump of chaeto from anyone for less than $10, and there should be plenty willing to donate a bit.

I would give you some, but I only have a small ball left at the moment. If you can wait a month I will have enough for you with good critters in it.

edit: and like what jedininja said, maybe a piece of LR or two as well would help =)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9228745#post9228745 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kinetic
I think the easiest and maybe best way would be to ask for a ball of chaeto and a cup of live sand from a local reefer who has a well established system.

I would give you some, but I only have a small ball left at the moment. If you can wait a month I will have enough for you with good critters in it.

edit: and like what jedininja said, maybe a piece of LR or two as well would help =)

Patience is something i got for this. i am getting a cup-full from my coworker (Uriel on this board). but would like a wide bio diversity.

MY LR has a few 'pods, 2 that i can see tiny shrimp, itsy bitsy snails etc etc. i believe that more lil critters could only be beneficial, well except some.

thanks for the offer :thumbsup

if you'd like more diverse for fun and probably for good too, i would also recommend ipsf. They have really great critters. A tad expensive, but probably worth it if you're really getting into the nitty gritty of it all.

Also, even try getting chaeto / live sand from people who have already bought from IPSF, you'll probably get all those critters that way as well, unless they were wiped out by something like a wrasse =P

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9226760#post9226760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jedininja
You really wont find any LFS with infauna kits. The easiest free way is to trade some LR wit someone else for diversity. But if you really want to seed a larger amount, I prefer inlandaquatics or ispf.

Do you have experiance with both?
Can you elaborate?

What do you mean elaborate? On which part? ISPF and inlandaquatics? or not finding much at LFS. The only thing I have found at LFS from time to time is tigger pods. As for the two online vendors, yes I have used them both. Great source for pods, worms, mini bristle stars and such.

I said inland or ipsf, not one over the other. Each has different products. inlandaquatics are great for the smaller fauna such as copepods, amphipods, mysis shrimp, Stomatella snails. IPSF is great for micro hermits, strombus snails, spaghetti worms, bristle worms, mini stars.

Back