New Guy

d_dog17

Whats Up Guys,

I am relatively new to the Island (Sep 08) and about 3 months into the hobby. First off, I'd like to say thanks to Wes for my lights and the link to this site. I currently have a 29 gallon tank w/ about 25-30 lbs of live rock and another 20-30 of live sand. The tank cycled pretty quikly, but I kinda thought this might happen since pretty much everything in it is natural with about 10 minutes of transit time. Amonia and nitrite has been undectable for about 2 months and nitrates stay 0-5ppm. I am still weeding out the unwanted hitch-hikers. (hairy crabs)
Livestock is:1 peppermint shrimp, 2 false percula (about 1 inch),) two spotted cardinals (about 1 inch),1 blue damsel (.5 inch), 1 small BTA seems very healthy so far, 15 assorted snails, turban, margarita and conch I believe. A few blue legged hermit crabs, and 1 electric blue hermit. I think there is a sally lightfoot crab who got a free ride also. Additionally, all the creepy crawly's that live in the sand/rock. Everything in the tank seems very healthy. I also think I have a pretty heavy load the tank for its age, but was/am prepared to do the extra maintenance. I did stagger the additions a few weeks and still check my parameters everyday.
Hardware is one 150gph powerhead, a 200 gph bio wheel filter and a berlin airlift PS. Good news is that I have a Bak Pak in the mail, should get here next week. (hopefully drop nitrates down) Lighting is 6.62w per gallon of compact flourescent.
My rocks have turned completely purple and red with coralline algae. I did notice some red hair and diatoms, but hopefully the recent addition of the margirita snails will resolve that.
I have spent a lot of time trying to get smart on the subject for the past few months, but know I am still a long ways away. Please let me know what you guys think and I would love any advice. Also if some one could give directions to the Naha fish store and ACO, that would be great. I found the map link, but it looks kind of confusing to me. Thanks in advance- Dave

To get to the coral farm go out gate 1 and hang a left onto 58. Go down past foster where 58 splits and go on the right side (the road to the convention center). Follow that road way down past the convention center and over a big bridge. You will come to a light with a family mart or lawsons on the right side, turn right there. Follow that road down past the driving school on the left and the road will make a sharp turn left, go straight there instead of following it left. You will the follow that road down and go left thought a half closed metal gate. After the gate follow the road up and Aqua Culture Okinawa will be tucked in on the left side right on the corner where the road turns right. You can call me too if you are having trouble finding the place. Here is a like to the farm: http://www.aquaculture.co.jp/en/index2.html And their phone number: 098-871-1820.

I'd get rid of the biowheel. It's basically a type of wet dry filter, and will only cause you nitrate problems in the long run. How often are you doing water changes?

I plan on ditching the entire filter assy. next week when I get my Bak Pak and probably adding another power head depending on how much flow it puts out. Right now with the load in the tank I am doing 20-25% water changes every 7-10 days. The protien skimmer I have now is pretty much junk, so hopefully I can stretch that out to 2 weeks or so w/ the new one.
While attempting to trap a hairy crab last night, I discovered either a mantis or pistol shrimp about .5 inch in length and pretty thin. One claw is bigger than the other one. How bad is that? thanks and Happy 4th!!- Dave

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15297606#post15297606 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tylersdad
To get to the coral farm go out gate 1 and hang a left onto 58. Go down past foster where 58 splits and go on the right side (the road to the convention center). Follow that road way down past the convention center and over a big bridge. You will come to a light with a family mart or lawsons on the right side, turn right there. Follow that road down past the driving school on the left and the road will make a sharp turn left, go straight there instead of following it left. You will the follow that road down and go left thought a half closed metal gate. After the gate follow the road up and Aqua Culture Okinawa will be tucked in on the left side right on the corner where the road turns right. You can call me too if you are having trouble finding the place. Here is a like to the farm: http://www.aquaculture.co.jp/en/index2.html And their phone number: 098-871-1820.

Thanks, I'll probably check it out on Sunday.

pistol shrimp... get rid of it ASAP

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15301267#post15301267 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by d_dog17
I plan on ditching the entire filter assy. next week when I get my Bak Pak and probably adding another power head depending on how much flow it puts out. Right now with the load in the tank I am doing 20-25% water changes every 7-10 days. The protien skimmer I have now is pretty much junk, so hopefully I can stretch that out to 2 weeks or so w/ the new one.
While attempting to trap a hairy crab last night, I discovered either a mantis or pistol shrimp about .5 inch in length and pretty thin. One claw is bigger than the other one. How bad is that? thanks and Happy 4th!!- Dave

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15302132#post15302132 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 2t2_crash
pistol shrimp... get rid of it ASAP

How should I go about doing it? I've researched some methods that involve removing the rock he lives in. The problem is though, I think he is living in my main rock that my BTA calls home. Yesterday when I saw the shrimp I actually flipped that rock up on its end to encourage the BTA to move a little higher. The bta had his foot attached under the rock upside down in a small cave and was stretching out the back side of it. Horrible place, the clowns paid no attention to it. Thats when I saw the pistol shrimp. As for the BTA, he was pretty much where I left him when I woke this a.m. but a few hours after I turned the lights on he started creeping up and over the rock. This got me excited because during his journey one of the clowns was extremely interested in him. I think I saw him dive into it but couldn't tell for sure. He was definately getting very close and paying it a lot of attention. He also ran off my damsel when he came in for a closer look. Since i knew the BTA was headed for shade I just put the rock back how it was originally. When i got home tonight, of course the BTA is back where he started, clowns again seem like they could care less about it and I havn't a clue where the pistol shrimp is. I think the BTA is setteling to low for the clowns because where he has been stretching out is basically touching the sand. Could it be too much lighting? If it is too much, I suppose I could cut it in half since I have two seperate lamps/ballasts. And, how about getting rid of the gun slinger? Thanks- Dave

someone mentioned using a shot glass and a piece of meat (shrimp or something) to catch them, that or it was the mantis shrimp.

I managed to get mine out because I broke my tank down and cleaned it to restart it from scratch.. which is not much of an option

Yeah, I'll give that a shot. I made a water bottle trap for the hairy crabs last night, but only ended up with a hermit crab in it.

please input follwing lat/long on google map

We hope to see you.
We can show you our delivery tanks
Sorry, you have to have an appointment.

Back