New hammer coral help- Noob

outlikecelery

Hey guys so my tank has been setup for almost 2 months now and it is very active. I have had some beginner corals for 2 weeks and they have been growing and looking great.

I decided to purchase a hammer coral frag 2 days ago and it seemed so big and open in the store. Its been in my tank for 48 hours now and its not open all the way... Why is this? should i just give it more time? i had it in the middle of my tank on a rock but moved it to the bottom to reduce flow a bit, figured that might help.

take a look at the pic, that's all it opens

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 0
looks nice and healthy, just give it more time to get used to your lights and water. If you don't notice it opening up anymore after a week, then I might get concerned.

Edit:

One of the best pieces of advice I got when starting out and my first euphyillia, just enough flow so the tentacles wiggle. You dont want it to get blasted as its skeleton is very sharp and it can cut its tentacles, causing it to die.

It could be acclimating to the difference in light/lights. Are you using the same type as the store you got it from? Never hurts to keep it low until it gets used to your lights and then move it up slowly as it get used to the new lighting levels.

Good to know! thank you both!.... I wish i could afford lights like the store has. I'm just using a Fluval Marine & Reef 2.0 LED. Maybe its just getting used to the new salt water and light like you both said.

I will keep it down and in lower flow for now

Thank you!

Good luck..
In general the "Fluval", "Marineland", "Current Orbit",etc.. lights are not sufficient for corals.. No matter what their marketing literature says..
A really small/shallow tank with softies.. ok..maybe..

but yes.. Give it time.. It can take a few days for corals to start "enjoying" where they have been moved to..

If you're going to be in this long term with corals, invest in some really good lights, they are not cheap, but will go a long way to help being successful.
Hammer looks ok, give him more time, don't be afraid to move him higher.

Good luck..
In general the "Fluval", "Marineland", "Current Orbit",etc.. lights are not sufficient for corals.. No matter what their marketing literature says..
A really small/shallow tank with softies.. ok..maybe..

but yes.. Give it time.. It can take a few days for corals to start "enjoying" where they have been moved to..

Aside from the crappy "kit" protein skimmer that will one day get replaced, the lights are the next investment for sure

If you're going to be in this long term with corals, invest in some really good lights, they are not cheap, but will go a long way to help being successful.
Hammer looks ok, give him more time, don't be afraid to move him higher.

thank you! i will keep it in mind

If your going to keep the coral on the sand bed like that you might want to epoxy or super glue it to a small piece of live rock. This will keep it from tipping over or getting knocked down by the errand hermit crab or snail. Basically this will keep you from fiddling with it too much.

Back