New nano isn't doing as expected, Whats wrong?

Ah, sorry.

Ah, sorry.

The comment about the light was more tongue in cheek, which doesn't translate well.

However, there was a nugget of aesthetics involved, and perhaps a bit on the lighting power. I don't think that in the long term you'll want the light 3' over the tank, just because of the spread of the light outside the tank......kind of like a spotlight, right?

And if you're going to stick with softies and even some LPS, the Prime may be overkill for the price if you can't acclimate the corals to the spectrum/intensity. The Kessil 160 I've got running on mine is kinda sorta at the same price point, but I've got a mixed tank of SPS, LPS and shrooms/zoas (shrooms are in the shade), and like I said, I'm running it at 60% intensity with a tilt to the blue side of the spectrum.

But you probably knew this, so sorry for the failed attempt at humor.:facepalm:

ReefinChicago,
I was thinking about the Kessil 160we. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind giving me your opinion on it. I currently have a 20 long which is only 12" deep, but at some point may upgrade to a 20" deep tank. Do you think this light can handle that depth? One other thing, is the shimmer too much? On most videos I see on YouTube it looks like it is quite annoying and distracting, but I know cameras don't show tank lights well.

Shouldn't have any nitrite in your tank at all. Did it ever peak during your cycle? It just looks like it never went through the cycle at all and now the corals are suffering from that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, my 160we.........

Well, my 160we.........

......sits over a 22 bowfront. Dimensions are 23lx12-14wx14d. The rear of this tank isn't fully the same length of the tank. Width is 12 at the edges, 14 in the middle measured in the display. The back is 23lx5wx13.5d.

A standard IM20 is 24lx15wx13d, which I believe includes the rear. Not sure what your measurements are now or will be, but the folks at Kessil say the 160 will cover a 24" square surface area. Not sure how deep they recommend for the 160, but since my 14 is deeper than the IM 20's 13, if you'd go for a tank like that you should be ok. I've got LPS on the bottom doing fine, and like I said, the shrooms are in the shadier areas.

I love the shimmer on my 22......but.....I have fairly minimal surface agitation. On the 30 (I have build threads here for both if you want to see them), the surface agitation is more pronounced, and so is the shimmer. I don't really have much in there, yet, so I'm not worried about it, but I may have to do something with the returns in a couple months when I start picking corals. That one has a 360 over it, and I'm getting plenty of light on the bottom, which is 16.5" down.

Hope this helps.

Crap.

Crap.

I realize I misread what you wrote, Royy.

I'm not sure about a 20 inch deep tank with a 160.

Sorry for my inability to comprehend.

Back