New OceanRevive Arctic T247 Initial review (pic heavy)

Three pictures under an arctic. Under a lot of blues, with some natural light from a window.

SAM_2068_zps161ab43d.jpg

SAM_2067_zps75d21759.jpg

IMG_20141216_122625511_HDR_zpsd99a3996.jpg

I am very interested in these lights. I have a 60"x30"wx26"H tank and I contacted Kelly and he said that 2 units would work for my tank. Seeing as you have 2 units over your 72 gallon tank I would think I would need 3 units.

What are your thoughts since you have some experience with the spread of these lights.

I am very interested in these lights. I have a 60"x30"wx26"H tank and I contacted Kelly and he said that 2 units would work for my tank. Seeing as you have 2 units over your 72 gallon tank I would think I would need 3 units.

What are your thoughts since you have some experience with the spread of these lights.

Honestly, I was told from day one that the arctic line of lights would cover a 24"x24" area and be able to grow anything. Outside of that 24"x24" area the light starts to fade off. The higher you lift the fixture, the wider the spread will be. The more you lift the fixture, the less penetration you will get.

With that said, I never even turned the lights up past 80% and have SPS growing in the bottom part of my tank and a clam on the sand. My lights are hanging 8" above the tank and probably 10" from the water. With my lights set up this way, I still have a little spill over out of the tank. So the penetration is not an issue here. The only thing I could see being an issue would be the coverage area for you. My opinion for you would be buy 2 fixtures and add a 3rd if you really need it. You could always keep the higher light corals more towards the center of your tank and lower light corals on the edges.

I hope that helps you out some. If you have any more questions I will help were I can.

Last edited:

My tank is also 72", but it is divided into three openings by two glass braces. I purchased three, and I'm happy with the spread. I only have them at 20% of intensity, and the light penetrates fine.

Thread revival.

Got my two lights yesterday, for a 72G bowfront. Am happy with them so far, but didn't like the mounting brackets much. They would not work with my glass tops I'm currently using, so I made some new ones.

Middle bracket:
OceanRevive_Mid.png

End brackets (2):
OceanRevive_End.png

They just sit on top now. I like to be able to slide them forward/back for access.
I'll post some pictures of the printed parts tonight.

It only took a few minutes to draw them, but I'll put the STLs up on Thingiverse if anyone wants them.

I adjusted the thumbscrews to put a bit of a pull-in tension on the end pieces, so no, they are solid. I can slide them forward/back to clean, or just pull out the glass lids.

I was considering using double-sided tape if they had problems with sliding off. With the lids, I can't really hook the inside edge of the tank without being in the way of the glass.

Probably will replace the lids at some point, but for now, I want to keep down the evaporation.

Back