New stand

scarin

Thinking about building my own stand for a 4 5 or 6 foot tank. Planning on a six foot wide stand with a 12" "cabinet" on each end. Where I can put shelves to store tools and various equipment. That would leave a full 4 foot area for Pumps sump and equipment. thinking 2 x 4 construction. Can I get away with a 4 foot span with no center brace? what height do people recommend? Was thinking 34 to 36 inches. also thinking 30 inches deep to create a ledge like jomskie did. Any and alkaline feedback wekcome

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

2 x 4 should be fine. I have seen the construction of the stands at the lfs and they are way way flimsier than that. Everyone tells you to go bigger and use more and thicker wood or even steel for that small stand, but why bother. You can always over-engineer but why? I even think 2x4 is over-engineering.

But if you really want to over-engineer it, why not build a stand with steel I-beams? That thing would then survive an nuclear blast as long as it is not a direct hit. ;)

2 x 4 should be fine. I have seen the construction of the stands at the lfs and they are way way flimsier than that. Everyone tells you to go bigger and use more and thicker wood or even steel for that small stand, but why bother. You can always over-engineer but why? I even think 2x4 is over-engineering.

But if you really want to over-engineer it, why not build a stand with steel I-beams? That thing would then survive an nuclear blast as long as it is not a direct hit. ;)

Yeh, what he said! 2x4 is more than enough! even for the 4' span.

2x4 work great. I'll se if I can find pics of my stand. It was 48x24x24. If you get the wood from hd or lowes make sure you get the premium stuff. The other has a tendency to be warped. Usually only like a .30c difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i used a 4x4 for the top and the rest 2x4 butted up together i can send you some pics or you can come over and see it if you want i dont have a center support.

Back