new tank filtration

Boom215

hey everyone, looking to setup a new tank. i currently have a 92 corner with some freshwater fish. its not what i want so I'm setting up what i do want! lol. i want a volatan lion in there. question is, I've been using the filter that came with the tank, i bought it used. I'm not sure of the brand or make, i haven't been experiencing any water issues, but the ,ion will be messy for sure. i want to know what everyone thinks i should get for filtration? i really don't want a wet/dry., i am prone to losing power and do not want to worry about it. let me know what you think? thanks in advance.

The rock you add to the tank will be your primary biological filter, but having something like a HOB to run a sponge or perhaps some GAC/GFO in wouldn't hurt either. When your doing your water changes make sure to blast the rocks with a power head and vacuum your sand bed on occasion and you should be golden.

Btw, if you do run a sponge in that HOB filter make sure to rinse this out every week or so too.

For HOB filters an aquaclear is the best. I am running an aquaclear 70 on my 40b and I love it. You may want a HOB protein skimmer to help with the load of the Volitans. Do not ever feed the Volitans goldfish. Go to the fish only and aggressive tank sub forum and read the article on feeding live foods and why it is bad(I love Volitans lions and scorps in general).

I'm fine with running HOB filters, thought some canisters would be higher up on the suggestions though. i was thinking like a fx5 and have a power head in there for circulation.

side nite, happy holidays everyone

Canisters are a pain in the butt imo. They work fine but are no fun to clean and maintain. I have two sitting in storage if you want a good deal. ;)
The Aquaclears are proven, reliable, simple and effective...easy to clean and relatively inexpensive.
Highly recommended.

Back