New Tank for the new year! Saxman7's Modified reefer tank

Tell us about your feeding procedure.
Are you using the dosing pump only or do you target feeding.
How often ??

Sorry for a late response Samian, here's what i've been doing:

For the dosing pump it does a rate of about 1ml per minute. Every time it comes on it's timed for 5 minutes- with a few being 10 mins in the more heavy fed evening times.

If I remember correctly the dosing pump comes on at these times daily:
6:00 am
8:00 am
10:00 am
12:00 pm
2:00 pm
4:00 pm
6:00 pm
7:00 pm
7:30 pm
8:00 pm (10 mins)
9:00 pm
9:30 pm
10:00 pm(10 mins)
11:00 pm(10 mins)
12:00 pm(10 mins)

I also will use reef boom and some Fm powder foods usually atleast once a day (depending on my schedule and I will target feed most of the corals (main focus on the tubastreas) with some mysis, live brine and or Fm Lps pellets almost every day. getting pretty much the same results with frozen foods versus the pellets on the suns.

I've been following this from the beginning, what a great concept and tank !!! I will be borrowing few ideas from you to incorporate it in my new build .

Thanks Mark! glad you're diggin the build! it's been alittle slow latley since everything is really happening in the 20 but I have several critters that will be moved over soon! the sunburst is doing great and i've got a really nice large purple queen that's joined him and they are doing well.

I may be doing away with the lockline concept for a bit unfortunately but I promise it will be for the better. My co-worker and I have been coming up with some crazy concepts lately... will be making a trip over to his college to use the lazer cutter soon.

meanwhile... I kind of got an idea of something to do in this tank it's really hard to resist the concept. here's a peak, stay posted.

Attachments

• pipes.jpg
    pipes.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 0
I may be doing away with the lockline concept for a bit unfortunately but I promise it will be for the better. My co-worker and I have been coming up with some crazy concepts lately... will be making a trip over to his college to use the lazer cutter soon.

meanwhile... I kind of got an idea of something to do in this tank it's really hard to resist the concept. here's a peak, stay posted.

Can't wait to see more !

ALRIGHTY so it's been a while...

ALRIGHTY so it's been a while...

I don't even know where to start, since I last posted it's been heaven and h#ll with my tanks. My "Medusa proof" 20gallon failed me back in (I want to say) late February as one of my guards I for my vortec came un-done one day and I lost every fish including all my anthias that I was conditioning for the nps tank all in about 20 minutes all at the lovely hour of 3 A.M. All the corals and inverts lived. Although after the whole issue and drastic amounts of large water changes, two of my four crinoids at the time never fully recovered.

There are simply too many other things that have happened to explain but the tanks are stable and basically, After the "medusa melt-down" in the 20, two out breaks of flukes in both systems, a bad attack of ich the reefer, a rogue leopard wrasse, and plenty of carpet surfing anthias and tilefish... I have learned (along with a few other important things) marine bettas are bullet proof and will always get my approval :fish1:

now to the good news, The reefer has finally gotten somwhere!
here's some updated pics:

Attachments

• 13579970_1243217512355982_1372604464_o.jpg
    13579970_1243217512355982_1372604464_o.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 0
  • 13579705_1243217439022656_269910321_o.jpg
    13579705_1243217439022656_269910321_o.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 13565588_1243218279022572_724930993_n.jpg
    13565588_1243218279022572_724930993_n.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 13570407_1243217229022677_337160261_o.jpg
    13570407_1243217229022677_337160261_o.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 0
Currently fish wise there is only the marine betta, a female randall's, female purple queen anthias and a jann's pipefish. planning to have a small group of both anthias species but will see what the dice rolls me!

Best photo of the tank yet:

Attachments

• 13582420_1243217352355998_394888750_o.jpg
    13582420_1243217352355998_394888750_o.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0
Sorry for all your troubles, but I am sure you learned a lot , your tank looks spectacular !!!
Your crinoids are looking very healthy , I am considering one of those for my tank, can you tell me more about what you feed them and how often? I am also considering sea apple, any experience with those?

Sorry for all your troubles, but I am sure you learned a lot , your tank looks spectacular !!!
Your crinoids are looking very healthy , I am considering one of those for my tank, can you tell me more about what you feed them and how often? I am also considering sea apple, any experience with those?

It's been a long haul for sure, I really appreciate the support Mark!
As far as the crinoids go, at first I was feeding everything but as time has progressed I'm starting to fine tune. Each species is different and you really gotta just mix a bunch of foods together and then start selecting one or two at a time and see what they react to the best. Most of mine definitely love cyclops,calanus, and fauna marin foods but I recently discovered how ravenous they go for the marine snow- especially the red ones.
In general I find that the more "feathered" ones, especially the ones that like to "take off an fly" are much more finicky and tricky like the standard red ones. The species that crawl around more individuals tentecles as their pinules in replace of "feathers" generally seem to be easier and tend to be more open on food sources.
On top of that,keeping parameters consistent, whether its allways dirty, or more on the clean side. Pick and stick with it. With your system being larger, water changes will less likely be a issue as long as you keep your salanity consistent. Go read Aquabac's build thread if you haven't already...he's a genius with azoox corals and a true pioneer with the principles of keeping crinoids and was definitely my inspiration to dive in and go for them. It's been very rewarding.

As far as apples go, I have two! I have the standard Philippines variant and an australian which is my favorite- he's borderline patriotic :lolspin:
Both react best if you're adding phytoplankton in your mixes and other fine micron sized foods but my australian seems more open to different foods and I always see him producing more waste then the one from the Philippines. Both are very healthly though, I've found apples to be nearly indestructible. You've seriously gotta be messing up your tank big time to stress them out.
Take it to the next level and get a pair of emperor shrimp to live on the apple(s) of your choice. It's awesome to watch them interact and much safer than a medusa worm as we now know!
Both get my thumbs up and I think your tank would suit these organisms very well Mark!
I've got some footage of my australian one I'll post tomorrow, I think you'll like it's colors ;)

Here's some footage of my different crinoids eating. It's hard to film this stuff so I have yet to film all of them but look at the difference between different species. considerably much more obvious closeup. In both Vids I was using fauna marin LPS grow and color pellets mushed into a more powdered form. Notice in the video of what seems to be a type of Himerometra, that it's very finicky on particle size. some pieces it pulls up it's food grooves very aggressively- others it grabs and slowly lets off. Probably one of the more common reasons these species are more tricky to sustain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i18_Qza_gRM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ztBumCm4EY

Any tips on uploading videos?

New gorgs!!!

New gorgs!!!

Lucky for me, a friend of mine had been checking out some other stores and came across some really nice gorgs imported from Fiji that I could simply not pass up. They're not what most of us are used to seeing. When I went in the store to get them, I also found a rock that was half zoas...and half what appears to be some various types of Phyllangia- Most likely americanas but I thought it was a really cool find. Some of them surprisingly have really nice fluorescent centers too. there was a stray frag of a odd gorg species from a shipment a few weeks back that seemed to be hanging on I grabbed as well.

Attachments

• Purple Yellow Fiji Gorg 1.jpg
    Purple Yellow Fiji Gorg 1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Purple Yellow Fiji Gorg 2.jpg
    Purple Yellow Fiji Gorg 2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Orange Fiji Gorg 1.jpg
    Orange Fiji Gorg 1.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Hidden Cup Corals.jpg
    Hidden Cup Corals.jpg