New TANK..........Have a LR question

Jman521

Ok, sooo I've read a lot of the forums here and got a lot of useful information. I finally got my tank set up. Not much going on in it right now cause it's two days old. BUT here's my question, I have like 12 lbs of rock in there right now, it's only a 15 Gal tank soo I want to buy some more rock but want to do it cheaper. I plan on cycling my tank for about 30 days before I do anything to it so Was wondering if I could buy plain base rock and put it in with my live Sand and the live rock I already have. Would it then become live as well? If soo, How long would that take approx? Is this a recommended practice?

papagimp

COMAS Rocks!
yup. As long as it's actual base rock and not something you found outside. I purchased some dry white base rock from Caribsea awhlie back, only took about 2 months until it looked like everything else in the tank. And recently I put some more dry white base rock (from another local source) in my tank, same thing, going on 2 months now and it looks fabulous. The base rock just isn't as porous as the "good stuff" so it doesn't make for great filtration. But it does add a bit to Aquascaping and will help some filtering to an extent.

Jman521

thanks for the advice, that's what I was hoping, because I can get that base rock for like .99/lb.......That's what I'm going to do. I hope to have some good pics soon. My water is clearing up quite nicely sooo nothing much left to do but wait for the cycle after I add the base rock and aquascape

Zestay

might want to look into "texas holy rock" if its available at your LFS.. or just obviously dead coral base rock.