New Tank Old Reefer

Im getting back into the hobby after 10+ years away from it. I have one bookshelf (it’s a built in and I’m reinforcing the bottom to withhold the weight of the tank) to place the aquarium which measures 38” wide x 19” deep x 24 inch high. It in an enclosed area so the light will have to fit as well.

I know bigger is usually more stable. I’m thinking 40 breeder with a AIO insert and and radon XR15 with an mp40 and ATO. I’m looking for mostly LPS and maybe 1 or 2 SPS.

I’ve had great success in the past with my tanks (except for one riddled with brittle stars) and am looking for a low maintenance tank.
Please let me know any concerns you would have. I’d rather spend time working things out now than when the water is in the tank.

Glad to be back and I appreciate the feedback!

image.jpg

Welcome back. Sounds like a good plan so far. Can’t wait to see pics of the progress.

Im getting back into the hobby after 10+ years away from it. I have one bookshelf (it’s a built in and I’m reinforcing the bottom to withhold the weight of the tank) to place the aquarium which measures 38” wide x 19” deep x 24 inch high. It in an enclosed area so the light will have to fit as well.

I know bigger is usually more stable. I’m thinking 40 breeder with a AIO insert and and radon XR15 with an mp40 and ATO. I’m looking for mostly LPS and maybe 1 or 2 SPS.

I’ve had great success in the past with my tanks (except for one riddled with brittle stars) and am looking for a low maintenance tank.
Please let me know any concerns you would have. I’d rather spend time working things out now than when the water is in the tank.

Glad to be back and I appreciate the feedback!

View attachment 32395560
If you are leaving the shelves as is, then you will have 7 inches of clearance on top as a 40 breeder is 17 inches tall. That doesn't leave a lot of room to mount a Radion to give you decent spread or cooling for the light. Maybe consider a bar type light like AI Blades (which I think are overpriced) or better yet a couple Quanta bars which are better price and have a few spectrums to choose from:

Products | Quanta Lights

Welcome back, and it will be great to enjoy your progress. Honestly, though, I'd be afraid to use that space unless I was going a lot smaller: the ability to reach where needed, the humidity, drilling for any separate sump/fuge, and the inevitable permanent altering of the space (dents, salt creep, splashes, spills, gouged wood) would be too much.

A nano tank could be perfect there.

Welcome back, and it will be great to enjoy your progress. Honestly, though, I'd be afraid to use that space unless I was going a lot smaller: the ability to reach where needed, the humidity, drilling for any separate sump/fuge, and the inevitable permanent altering of the space (dents, salt creep, splashes, spills, gouged wood) would be too much.

A nano tank could be perfect there.
That’s what I’m leaning towards now, I would just like to think I’m a ninja with maintenance but in reality I’ll be spilling things everywhere and losing a fish behind the tank. Thank you guys for the input

Back