New tank problems

Dontknowmuch

Hi I have a new tank 50G with dry rock, and Aragonite sand, which I got in Feb, and has had zero ammonia and nitrites since April 10.

Current Parameters
Ammonia and nitrites 0 API
Nitrate 4.5 Hanna
Phosphate 0.14 Hanna
Magnesium 1380 Salifert
Calcium 520 API
KH 8 API
PH 8.2 API
Temp 77-78
Salinity 1.025 - 1.026 digital test

I have a protein skimmer, an AI Prime light, and a Nero3.

I have 2 hermit crabs. No fish yet.

I put in two Trochus snails 2 nights ago.
I acclimatised them for 1hr by adding tank water to the floating bag every 10mins.

When I put them in the tank, I put them on the glass, but they did not roam around. They are not eating the film of algae. Since then, they only moved once and are definitely not eating.

What did I do wrong?

I did feel a tingling on my fingers the other night so I removed the older of the two heaters and I haven’t felt any tingling since then. Could stray electricity bother the snails? I don’t have anything to check for this.

Could it have been an electrical fault? Or could the algae be toxic to the snails? Or is my calcium too high, if so how would I reduce it. Or something else I haven’t thought of yet?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice!

First Welcome to Reef Central!

I’d look into getting a grounding probe to help with any stray electricity.

After that, I’d say it’s not uncommon for trochus to not move for a bit. I’ve had mine over a year and there’s just times they don’t move for a few days.

Your calcium is definitely high but I don’t think that’s the issue here. I would test your premixed saltwater to see what the calcium reading is, cause if it’s naturally high, it may be a bit more difficult to get it down.

Also, it’s been said that API test kits are notoriously inaccurate so may be see if your LFS can double check your tests (if they use non API kits).

Yep, I agree. Sometimes snails just shutdown for a few days (even a week) upon an aquarium change.

None of the numbers you listed jump out as snail killers. Make sure your digital refractometer is properly calibrated - salinity can definitely effect snails especially a big swing. I'd switch API to Hanna for alkalinity and to Salifert for the rest (actually API PH test kit is ok).

You mix your salt with RODI water yes?

In my experience, As long as the snails are sticking to something then they’re alive. If they’re not attached to anything or falling out of the shell, then they’re dead

In my experience, As long as the snails are sticking to something then they’re alive. If they’re not attached to anything or falling out of the shell, then they’re dead
They are still sticking for now! One moved around the top last night. I think he’s looking for a way out.

Back