New tank - What kind of water

erptacmt

I have a new 100 gal tank. What is the best way to fill it? Pre-made saltwater from my LFS? That would be a lot of 5 gal jugs and multiple trips. I live about 20 mins from my nearest LFS. Or should I use tap water and de-chlorinate for initial tank fill. I plan on getting an RODI system but that's not for a few months. TIA

I'd never use tap water

You could get RO water from the LFS, dump it in the tank and put the salt in there to mix. Assume you'd have nothing alive in there so it's a fine method

Or you can get natural sea water delivered depending where you live

Or you can get water from those water dispensers at grocery stores although they do have higher Tds then rodi but less then tap

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Don't use tap water, you have no idea what's in it......get the ro/di now, you will have to get one sooner or later anyway

I would think if your tap water is drinkable, it is OK to fill your tank with initially, after conditioning/dechlorinating. I wouldn't add corals or sensitive invertebrates, just a few very hardy fish. I'd also recommend adding some macro algae, which will soak up metals and other impurities.

RODI always, unless this is only going to be fish only.
Starting right increases your success rate.
Many city waters contain phosphate, which may bind with your rock, and fuel larger than necessary ugly periods. Then you will spend three times the value of the RODI unit.
We are talking about $100 bucks.
Not worth the risk, but it's your tank.

Back