New to forums, very quick sponge ID

06spiceygoat

Hey everyone, my names chris. I have a 27 gal bowfront that I started 2 years ago and recently had a crash due to moving : / it's getting back to par and everything is settling back in. I know it's a brief description but I will get to my ? Which I've searched for and couldn't find an answer. I have this one awesome piece of liverock being used as a shelf more or less, excellent shape, color etc. Now on the underside and back is this strange poofy, grey, bubbly, soft "thing" growing on the back. I noticed it last year as just a small piece but disregarded it. Now this thing is speeding across the back of the rock and would like to know what it is. Any insight???

I decided to join because I have a strong passion for tank keeping both fresh and salt and this community seemed excellent, full of help, and knowledge ( like my car forum/ club hence name "2006 Spice Red Pontiac GTO" ). Enough of the jabber and cars this is a fish forum!! Lol thanks again guys Snd gals !!
bfe63bd3.jpg

5517ff0b.jpg

First off, Welcome to the party!!!!

You answered your own qestion. It looks to me like exactly that, sponge! my tank has been estabblished for about 8 years now and if i take a pen light and shine where the lights don't... BAM! all kinds of sponge, some bigger than my fist...white, gray, flourecnt yellow, gold, pink, you name it. good to have it as it helps filter the water(filter feeder). just to let you know, if you try to move it into the light it will probably die as most of these sponges that grow in the shadows of our tanks are cryptic. some people even make cryptic zones in there sumps (void of all light) to purposely grow this stuff in huge amounts for it's filtering abilities.

Hope this helps some.

Thank you very much Cory, as long as I didn't get a " Ohhhh wow that's bad!" I'm happy!! I'm slowly getting the tank back up, I literally just started getting sone amazing coraline and now Ive just finished recycling :/ lost all my fish... Did everything by the books on the move but sonething went awry. I hope i can get it back to where I was.

Back