New to hobby again

Cozumel

Been away for way to long, so I have some questions. I am setting up a new 15 gallon and have had a 140 gallon reef and I also have an oceanic 38 gal cube. But right now have to stay with the small 15 gallon due to being on a fixed income. I had to retire early due to health issues. I would like to have a few fish and a few corals eventually.

Since I have been away for so long and need some advice on some Led lighting. I have had MH, HO, and some T5s. On a 15 gallon how much wattage will I need without breaking the bank? I have a 18 Watt Led light but is that going to be enough to grow some soft corals.

I only have one clown fish but want to add some more. What all fish can I add? I know it’s too small to add any tangs. I found out today that a cleaner shrimp was $40 and I remembered buying them for around $20 back around 2000. So I am now wondering if I can afford this hobby again. It can be addictive and you are always wanting bigger and better.

Any advice really appreciative thanks. Bruce

Also is 18 Watts enough to get an anenome? Also what kind of anenome to get. Back around 10 years ago I had a rose anenome and a maroon and gold clown fish for 8 years.

Welcome back to the hobby! So lighting isn’t so much wattage anymore as it is par output. What LED light specifically are you looking at?

The hobby has definitely skyrocketed in price. I know Petco just ran a 20% off sale so that dropped cleaner shrimp to $33 so I bought one from them.

As for anemones, again it’s going to depend on what light it is and what kind of par numbers it puts out. You will find there are a variety of rose type BTAs now. There are rainbow (typical red and green blend (usually the cheapest), Sherman’s (this is more of true rose based on my observation), black widow (usually a deep bright rose with a unique pattern on its oral disk), Chicago sunburst, Colorado sunburst (both sunburst are pricey but bright and mix of colors leaning more orange/yellow than rose), Nexus Burst (the latest and most expensive morph right now) and I’m sure I’m forgetting others.

Forgot about fish. Fish will depend on what you’re looking for and how aggressive the clown is. You could do a firefish, many of the goby’s, a cardinal or two, another clown and try to pair them, a royal gramma or similar smaller fish. Obviously you can’t put all of those in the tank but it just depends on what you’re looking for (sand dweller, open water fish, active fish, etc)

Back