New to reefing any advice appreciated on setting up after move

Channaman

Hey reefers.. Im brand new to the game of reefing and aquariums in general. Last week I picked up a 55gal marine aquarium that was up and running for 2 years.

For equipment Im running:
Cobalt Aquatics EXT canister filter
Hydor Slim Skim Protein Skimmer
Current Marine Orbit LED
Jebao wp40 Wavemaker Powerhead
Eheim Jaegr 250w Heater

Heres where I could use some major advice..
After the 4 hour journey of getting all the live rock and corals home I wanted to get everything back in the water asap because water temperatures were into the 60s in my buckets. After filling the water back into the tank the water was very cloudy and I couldnt see where I was placing the rocks. Now that everything has settled I want to setup a proper aquascape. Im going to need to remove everything from the tank and put back each piece of rock individually. Just wondering if anyone could recommend the best way of doing this. Would I be okay filling a tote with fresh saltwater at the right temperature and putting everything in there for about half an hour while I build the aquascape? All the corals are just starting to look healthy again after about 4 days in the tank and I want to have the least impact on them as possible.

Any feedback is much appreciated..!!

I would make enough new saltwater to place all the corals in, heat it to tank temperature and then make a water change with that water, keeping the old water to place the corals into as you reaquascape. Placing them directly into new saltwater is going to shock the corals a little as the water chemistry in the new saltwater is going to be different than what is in your display tank, placing them in water removed from the display tank will not.

Back