New to the Hobby

Pischke812

Hi everyone...new to the hobby so thought I would start here. Just set up a 90 gal with built in overflows, 20 gal sump, Bubble Magnus NAC7 skimmer. Doing a deep bed black sand, live rock and corals. Just got everything in and set up, and waiting for my 36" 8 bulb ATI T5 Lights to show up. Any suggestions are welcome!!

Bubba...to be honest not entirely sure. My buddy went to MACNA a little while ago and spoke with the experts there. Bought a T5 I would never need to change out and that I can have LPS and SPS. The experts suggested a lighting arrangement which I went with.

Fshaqrmman...thanks!! I plan on doing it right, and if that takes time, so be it. Would rather spend the time and do it right then have to take double that amount of time later to fix everything, and most likely have dead corals and fish. But the wait is killing me to get this going! :)

Poetic...no kidding! I have good friends with tanks that look great, so that's what I want. Never got the memo that it would take months to even start to get there. Oh well...that's why they call it a hobby...we have to love to do it in order to keep with it!

Bubba...to be honest not entirely sure. My buddy went to MACNA a little while ago and spoke with the experts there. Bought a T5 I would never need to change out and that I can have LPS and SPS. The experts suggested a lighting arrangement which I went with.

A T5 that will never need bulbs changed out? I don't believe there is such a thing...

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

A T5 that will never need bulbs changed out? I don't believe there is such a thing...

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I have never heard of a everlasting t5 either. By the way, Pischke812, what are you doing as far as in tank flow? What are you thinking as far as powerheads. If you can afford the mp40's I would highly recommend them. Not only do they put out the best flow on the market, but the controllers can sync to each other wirelessly and create a wave like no other powerhead can. Plus with the mp40's there is no wires in your tank which definitely clears up that eyesoar. And to top it off if they ever break, rather than replacing it, you can buy each individual part for them to fix them.

Hey guys...sorry, I didn't say that right. I meant I would never need to upgrade fixtures...such as going to MH, for corals. The bulbs still need changed regularly, but I can have the corals and reef I want without needing upgraded lighting.

As for the MP40's, that is something I definitely want. I have Koralia's now, I believe 1500 Evolutions. They will do (have 4 currently), but will upgrade to MP40's when possible. My buddy has two MP40's in his 125 tank, and they look great and work even better. I had thought about a wave box, a Tunze, but will probably just go with the two MP40's instead on a controller.

I've also been looking at the BRS Reactor and dosing kit/pump...any thoughts?

Not sure on the amount yet. I have picked up some corals but they are in a buddy's tank until mine is ready. Looking at a lot of fish, and a nice sized reef. Past that, I am always looking for suggestions!

Back