New zoos won't open

Chelsey

Clownfish Addict
Premium Member
I purchased 3 frags of zoos from a reefer here on RC and had them shipped USPS priority with a heat pack. They arrived last Friday (2-24) and are still not open. There is no sign of fungus and the polyps still look healthy, but there is no sign of opening. At what point should I start worrying that there's something wrong?

I'm having a similar problem, although half of my polyps are deinitely dead. I have been running actinics only to see if I can get them to open, but it's been a week. I think that I might stick them in a low light area (I was told they like low light) and continue with running my MHs... I don't think that mine will be salvaged.

If your polyps still look healthy, just keep them on the bottom and wait. When and if they open up, they will more than likely be bleached, or have lost a lot of color.

Good luck!

They didn't have a stinky odor to them when I put them in the tank and I don't think that the water smells any different than normal. What does a dead polyp look like? In my limited polyp death experiences they just kind of melt away. I can deal with the loss of color, as that will come back over time, but I really don't want them to die :(

Honestly I have just recieved two dead orders recently. and the first one stank to high heaven. The second one didnt smeel that bad and most of the polyps looked normal. But, after being in there a day or so, you cant smell it in the water, but if you pick them up they will have an odor if dead. FWIW they look like normal closed up zoos until they rot and float away.

Chelsey I am glad to see posted this question here. Can you post a pic of them? As I said in my PM it is strange for them to take so long to opem.

Randy

Well, without seeing a picture and reading the information you have given... I am sorry to tell you that your zoas probably will not make it.

I would keep them in there until the rot away.. you never know, they might pull through.

pic's please......... I've had them never open and just melt away but now if they don't open in a couple days I frag them up and will usually end up with some survivors and even have them grow out from just a piece of mat without polyps. Did you dip them before adding them to your tank?

The soonest I can post pics is Friday. No, I didn't dip them because they arrived about 5 minutes prior to me having to be gone for several hours, and since they'd already been in the shipping bags for 3 days I didn't think they should wait. I have nothing in my tank that could be aggravating them. I'm really worried :(

I'd give them a couple more day's.... were they still warm from the heat pack?

the water wasn't any colder than the tank if I remember correctly. They were packed well (inside a thermos and triple bagged) and had an 18 hour heat pack, + they were in a box and newspaper, so I don't understand why they aren't open :( I'm going to check my parameters on Friday when I get home (It's time for that anyway) and see if that has anything to do with them not opening. I REALLY hope they aren't dead because I was really looking forward to those colors growing for me...they're beautiful!

Back