New

FishDa_guy

Hello all,
I am new here and would like some advice on starting a saltwater tank. i want a reef type. Where can I get supplies, filters, and other necessary items to make this happen. thanks.

take your time with it.. thats the number one thing I can tell you. as for supplies.. the states is the cheapest and best place to order stuff. pumps, skimmer, lights ect are retarded expensive over here.. and your already going to be paying out the *** for good parts anyways.

Next thing I can tell you is dont skimp on stuff.. get the best of everything you can. Ive got well over $1K in equipment in my tank..

and the last thing.. research.. research.. research.

I have a tank with stand if you havent already purchased one. Also have a canister filter i am trying to get rid of. If i can help let me know.

Hey Chris (Bret, this is silvia20guy from ZY)

Anyways, like I was saying on ZY, buy most of your stuff from the states. This hobby isnt easy and it isnt cheap by any means at all. Once you get things started, it only requires more and more to continue it...which leads to more and more money. (funny how that works)

Depending on what you want to keep really deligates what equipment you should buy.

As for where to buy, I buy my stuff from premiumaquatics.com out of Indiana. I order my stuff and the longest ive waited was about 6 days to recieve my stuff. Others order from places like bluezooaquatics.com and liveaquaria.com

Bret and Frank thanks for the info... i don't go cheap on something that will cost me more in the future, nope will not do that. only buy the best for my pets... thanks for the info guys and I will post up progress of the tank once up and running...

ok I will probably go 80 gal

what pumps are you guys running? GPH wise?

Last edited:
Unless you litterly stumble across one, you will probably need to order one from a shop or mainland. I think Mike (dastank) paid something around $600 shipped for his tank (converted to yen of course) for his tank thats about that size. Jeff on here will be selling his 55 shortly, and you might be able to hook that up. I think someone else is selling a 55g tank as well. You might have luck posting a WTB thread on japan update.

as for your flow, many different ways to do that. there are caculators on the main page (just www.reefcentral.com) that can help you out in that aspect.

i see 55gal tanks pop up all the time in japanupdate.. most are freshwater, but every now and then a saltwater one will pop up. if you buy one that had fresh water in it you need to make sure that they didnt use copper in the tank. I think there might be a couple other things you need to check on also.. sure there are some threads on here about changing a freshwater tank over to saltwater.

I'm going to be home all night, if you still want to come take a look. Give me a call 090-8290-6443

Lionel

FishDaGuy...how long you here for? Setting up a tank to maturity about 6 months...wathing it grow about 1 year, trying to sell it about 6 months...that's 2 years gone. If you with the military...might want to think it thru...This was the one major factor that detered me from starting one while I was in...but since have retired and will not be moving (or ordered to) anytime soon...

FishDaGuy...how long you here for? Setting up a tank to maturity about 6 months...wathing it grow about 1 year, trying to sell it about 6 months...that's 2 years gone. If you with the military...might want to think it thru...This was the one major factor that detered me from starting one while I was in...but since have retired and will not be moving (or ordered to) anytime soon I have bought and started a big tank...jumping from a 15 gal to a 130 gal in about 1 to 2 years...

I am a civilian over here and pretty much staying here for more than 4 years. I am getting Lionels setup. Went and looked at it and wanted it. Can't wait to pick it up next week.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10098456#post10098456 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FishDa_guy
I am a civilian over here and pretty much staying here for more than 4 years. I am getting Lionels setup. Went and looked at it and wanted it. Can't wait to pick it up next week.

Congrats! :thumbsup:
Looking forward to reefin' with ya!
WELCOME TO OKINAWA!!!!!! :wavehand:

Back