Nitrates issue

Thank you for the compliments. I apologize if I didnt answer anyones questions, when responding I try to remember what questions were asked and respond. Other than the high readings, there arent any other issues im aware of. Every now and then ill see ich on some of the tangs but nothing severe.. what else should I be testing for? Because I lack in corals I dont dose anything and just check the ph nitrate nitrite and ammonia. The corals I do have are thriving fine but they are the super easy to keep corals like GSP, xenia, torch, etc. This weekend Ill try to make a post with just photos of the aquarium and its inhabitants.

Oh I also forgot to mention that the hippo blue appears to have a slight case of what i believe to be HLLE below the eyes. I use the cheap chinese version sunsun powerheads and 2 weeks ago i noticed some electrical current in the water so i removed the 4 individual powerheads on the right side of the tank and purchased another 4 in 1 sunsun rated at 1600 gph (i doubt its accurate) but now i have one of those on each side so im getting plenty of circulation throughout the tank and no longer feel any type of electrical shock. I recieved a bottle of selcon in the mail today so ill be using it with their food to help her out and boost their immune system further

Listening to those that struggle will leave you struggling. Listen to those that are successful. You have a better chance of being successful too.
Adding media to a tank is just like dosing carbon only more expensive.
The guy already knows what things he needs to improve on and where levels are coming from.
Telling someone don't do something the majority of people are successful with is pretty much crap. No it is not something he wants to have to do but it helps a great deal.

Hey Rob, you shouldn't snap at people like that. From what I read from the OP first post on this thread, you were already advising him before hand, but he still when ahead and posted his problem in a OPEN forum to read other people opinions. So don't get upset just because not everyone agreed with your method.

My reef ecosystem has been running for seven years and I never had any issues with nitrates. Never had to carbon dose. So I guess that my opinion is as valid as yours.

And please don't get me wrong. I agreed that your advise for carbon dosing is also valid. I just believe that he should be using RO/DI for his water changes, check if that was part of the problem and then start carbon dosing if thats the route he chose.

I tell you... with that Tang population, no wonder he has Nitrate issues.

Lol, trust me when I say that is not me snapping.
I also was not talking about you.

Yes he needs to find where his levels are coming from which many have chimmed in on and helped him with.

As far as you thinking I want him to listen to me only you are wrong. I have told him multiple times to pick someone successful to listen to. Not someone struggling. I told him there are several very successful people here trying to help so listen to one of them or many of them doesn't need to be me.

Back