Non-Reef LEDs for Macro Algae?

WetShepherd

I need to replace the light on my little fuge (12x12x12ish) and I'm wondering if a non-reef led fixture like this one will provide adequate light for my macro algae.

Subscribed. I'm thinking of LED over macro in fuge and mangrove garden if I can pick up a cheaper fixture to server the role.

Any type of light with promote photosynthesis, for a 12x12 tank I would suggest at least two, though one would probably be sufficient.

I have extra chaetomorpha that I did not want to throw away because of copepods. I placed it in a 10 G tank near the window with air pump receiving ambient light all day and about an hour indirect sunlight daily. It is growing and stays dark green.

So I went and checked out the light I listed and it it's not only small but dim - so very very dim. It looks like it's intended for a 2.5g cube (not sure what you keep in something that small). On the up-side though, while I was looking through the other fixtures I realized that the lid for my sump has a clear plastic section that is designed to fit perfectly with a Marineland led fixture. I also just happen to have one for my QT set up that I'd forgotten about (can't use it there as I have a coral in that tank atm).

Thanks for the replies - I think I've accidentally solved my problem - and for the first time in this hobby I did it cheaply!

Back