Noobie Hanna Phosporus ULR question

I just got a second hand Hanna Checker HI 735 ULR phosphorus. It says it measures in PPB, and i got a reading of 95. Does this mean it is within a desired range of 0,095 ppm?

Also it came with 2 filled cuvettes, 1 clear, 1 pinkish (like the nitrate solution would look like after adding the reagent). I saw somewhere that this is a calibration kit, but nowhere on the internet does it say i have to calibrate this checker in that way. Anyone has any idea? The guy is got it from was not good in putting stuff where its supposed to be, so it might just be from another of his kits.

Your conversion appears correct for phosphorus to phosphorus conversion. Theres a different conversion for phosphorus to phosphate (not sure how it’s calculated but here’s a table from Hannah)

IMG_0897.jpeg

I have nothing in my phosphorus kit for calibration. Just two empty cuvettes but only one is needed for testing (first the sample with no regeant, press the button, then add the regeant when it says “add, c.2” and then press the button again.

Shane covered the PPB to PPM above.

I've never used the HI735, I've only used the phosphate checker.

But, according to this it looks like the cuvettes should both be clear (check out the pictures). There's also a video with instructions and also a link at the bottom to download the manual in case it wasn't included with the checker you have.

This also makes me think maybe the pinkish one is stained. The video mentions that not discarding the solution after the test, it could stain the cuvette. I don't see Hanna offering a pinkish cuvette.

Shane covered the PPB to PPM above.

I've never used the HI735, I've only used the phosphate checker.

But, according to this it looks like the cuvettes should both be clear (check out the pictures). There's also a video with instructions and also a link at the bottom to download the manual in case it wasn't included with the checker you have.

This also makes me think maybe the pinkish one is stained. The video mentions that not discarding the solution after the test, it could stain the cuvette. I don't see Hanna offering a pinkish cuvette.
I see what you mean, but i think i didnt explai it well enough. its actually this:

however, i cant seem to find anywhere how often you can use these, for how long they keep and how to use it.

Your conversion appears correct for phosphorus to phosphorus conversion. Theres a different conversion for phosphorus to phosphate (not sure how it’s calculated but here’s a table from Hannah)

View attachment 32398624

I have nothing in my phosphorus kit for calibration. Just two empty cuvettes but only one is needed for testing (first the sample with no regeant, press the button, then add the regeant when it says “add, c.2” and then press the button again.
thanks a lot! so according to this i would be at 0.3ish, which is pretty high. Then again, its time for my first WC since adding fish and corals so should be okay in the future i guess..?

Also its in the 5:1 - 30:1 range of nitrate: phosphate that BRS recommends right?

I see what you mean, but i think i didnt explai it well enough. its actually this:

however, i cant seem to find anywhere how often you can use these, for how long they keep and how to use it.
Had to do a little digging on this as I've not seen one of these before. The name is misleading, in that it is NOT a calibration kit (to my knowledge Hanna checkers cannot be calibrated by the end user). So, it's not really a calibration kit as much as a kit to test the accuracy of your checker per Hanna's website. From Hanna's website "The Phosphorus Ultra Low Range Checker® HC Calibration Check Set provides a simple solution to validating the Phosphorus Ultra Low Range Checker® HC - HI736 that has a range of 0 to 200 ppb as phosphorus."

The website goes on to say, "The Certificate of Analysis provides the lot number, reference values and expiration date for traceability when certifying the Checker® HC." So, somewhere on the Certificate of Analysis with the kit, there should be an expiration date for it.

Edit: looks like Griss already posted this.

Those two additional ones are probably these:

I do not think there is a calibration it is to check accuracy.

There is different ones for different models.

1711033075062.png

Last edited:
Back