Not getting the flow I was expecting

codemonkey812

I added a flow meter to my apex today to alert me if there is an issue with my return pump. I have a Current USA eFlux 6010 (rated at 1,900 GPH). I am running it at 100%, but the Apex is only showing 330 GPH. My tank is drilled with 3/4" return, so I have 1" up to the bulkhead, then reduced down. Should I be seeing more flow? I have the 3/4" split into 2-1/2" loc-line in the tank. Would 2-3/4" be better?

Yes, you will have more flow with lower pressure with a larger diameter return. I just upgraded my return pump recently. I had to run it at 90% to get the flow rate I needed. Not happy, I replaced the return nozzles with 3/4" and now I only have to run my return pump at 45% for the flow I want. Good luck!

I am considering running 1" PVC over the back of my tank and using the 3/4" as an emergency drain. My holdup is finding replacement unions for the Apex flow meter. Do you know if Lowes/Home Depot SCH 80 unions will work (keeping the supplied side on the flow meter)?

I ran my rr220 with “y”d 1.5” over the top and used all overflow bulkheads as drains. Two as mains and two as safeties. It provides a wider flow rather than a jet blast. Let your wave makers handle the rest. Worked well for 18 yrs.

In my 120 I use one of the four holes for the return, 2 for overflows, and one for an emergency. This works well for me with power heads for the mail flow. I have a gyre 250, mp40, and two tuzie’s for flow. It works well for me.

Back