Not happy with filtration

illinifish

I have a stock Nano Cube DX 24 gallon. As recommended to me when I set up the tank several months ago, I removed one of the large sponges in the first chamber. The second chamber is from top to bottom: sponge, ChemiPure Elite, Purigen, Ceramic Rings and Bioballs.

The tank is a softie tank with two clowns and a fire shrimp. They are all well. The tank is entirely aquacultured with no live rock (which is why I don't have any of that in one of the chambers).

I'm not thrilled with the apeparance of my water- it seems like it is clear, but lots of little specks (sand, debris?) floating around all the time. It is not noticeable from a distance and my husband and friends say I'm crazy, but it seems like the water in my smaller tank and all of my freshwater tanks is much clearer. I am thinking of adding in some filter floss but am unsure where to place it.

Additionally, is it bad that there is nothing right behind the skimmer (just the stock one that comes with the nano cubes?) That sponge is much lower.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Nope, no bubbles. The skimmer I have is just that little plastic box thing that attaches on the back of the wall. I'm not sure it actually does anything at all :-(

Back