Not just locals losing tanks, SniperSPS bites the dust

Not exactly alot of LEs coming out of Baghdad either though :)

Hugo,

We were extremely lucky that our outage was barely over 8 hours and that we were able to find a store still open (not closed due to power outages) where we could buy some large marine batteries and 2 inverters. They kept our losses to a minimum, but like you, we waited until it was almost too late because we kept thinking/being told that the power would be on "soon".

Your tank was definitely an inspiration and it saddens me to hear of it's passing :(. If we were not fighting against AEFWs for our tank's life at the moment, I would be volunteering may frags for your rebuild.

I think most places don't have 24/7 power. That is more a testament to what you can do with a stable society. I'll bet non-war zone Middle Eastern cities DO have 24/7 power though. I mean, they certainly have the money and oil reserves to provide power to all their (city living) citizens. Whether or not they do or not is up to them to fix.

I don't think it's a right, but I think it's a reasonable expectation...especially considering the federal, state, municipal taxes that we pay, not to mention that we pay our electric bills every month.

I saw a show about "Unsung heroes" (hosted by Robert Redford). One segment highlighted this guy who founded a power company that installs solar power for CHEAP to (I think) rural Mexican homes. Not enough power to run a reef tank, but enough to run water pumps, lights and basic comforts of the 21st century.

Believe it or not, if "the industry" wanted to, it could make cheap solar power. I mean, think of the process it takes to build A CAR, or 1GB RAM chips or CPU, or even an MP3 player and tell me why solar panels cost so much?!

V

rant over.

I haven't had any blackouts around Berkeley, maybe you guys can look up towards the northern bay area for some generators? Or has someone already done that and not found any?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7820129#post7820129 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Thales
Yes the electricity we have should be constant - and FREE! :D

Pssst... I run a 10g nano tank at work ... "Free" power?? heh heh...

V

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7820318#post7820318 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Vincerama2
Pssst... I run a 10g nano tank at work ... "Free" power?? heh heh...

V

I run an extension cord to my neighbors outdoor outlet! ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7820167#post7820167 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Vincerama2
tell me why solar panels cost so much?!

Expensive process using expensive commodities (silver, for example) manufactured by few producers equals expensive product. They will only get more expensive as the price of silver climbs, which it will, as we are in a commodities bull market.

Too many people, not enough power. Hopefully the clubs will help get people with losses back into action soon enough. You can't get mad at PG&E if we're all at fault. I'm sure the ice cream store owners with melted product are cursing all of us with 10000000watt reef tanks that are blowin out the power!

Thank you guys for your help and you can imagine that we dont have light right and my neighbor is telling me too turn the generator because it doesn't let him got too sleep and he will call the police but right now i don't care

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7822421#post7822421 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snipersps
Thank you guys for your help and you can imagine that we dont have light right and my neighbor is telling me too turn the generator because it doesn't let him got too sleep and he will call the police but right now i don't care

And it is a matter of health that you have the generator running. Get it!!? So if PD come. be prepared.... Looked at the tread, I will stay positive for ya. You have a fantastic tank. It'san honor to see such beauty. REEF ON

damn, sorry to hear about your tank snipersps.. it was definitely an inspiration and hope once everything settles out that you can (and want to) get your tank back up on its feet again..

If PD shows ask for a sgt. and explain to him he would be killing thousands of dollars worth of rare and exotic coral ANIMALS and that you doubt the city needs that press. They wouldn't unhook grand ma's oxygen for Christ sake.

Then if they make you turn it off have everyones name and badge number written down as witnesses for the civil case against the city........Sorry to hear about your situation.

Back