Not really new but still have alot of questions!

lyssadrake

So i have been into Saltwater since i was 16 and then i didnt really know what i was doing persay but my dad had saltwater tanks before so i got advice from him, now that im older and tryingto get into it again the more i read the more confused i get! And the harder i try it seems the more i fail! So i have a few questions. I know RO water is a must for saltwater, i just moved to a different state and i personally have never used RO water before....just regular watrr from tap that i used dechlorinate additives to etc. Perhaps thats why i have nevrr haf coralline algae before :( I dont know? I bought an aqua remora c protein skimmer a couple years ago and it was nevrr worked right for me! It collected so much water it practically drained my tank, they said give it a few weeks and it never improved. as of right now i just set my tank up again. I have only a heater running, a wave maker, and a wet/ dry filter of which i took out all bio balls and replaced with smaller dead corals and one piece of foam to catch debris. I have live sand at bottom with what once was live rock and i have about 50 lbs give or take of that. Any suggestions from experts what i should or shouldnt be doing? Wanna make sure i do it right this time and stop wasteing tons of money. Thanks guys! -Alyssa

First, make sure it is RO/DI water and not just RO water. This will help keep nuisance algae down and prevent bad stuff in your tap water from getting in your tank.

Second, lack of coralline wouldn't be because of tap water (normally). If you want coralline, then you need to have some in the tank to begin with in order to seed it. Also, you need to keep alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium within the correct parameters. Finally you will need some light, but I imagine you have that anyway :)

Last thing for now...
[welcome]

Okay i think i got it :) i have never had a refugium, i have a wet/ dry filter like i said before...with just dead coral pieces and live rock in there...with one foam pad to catch debris..is there anything else i should do with it for a filter? Like a sand bed...?

Back