now what on two parts dosing.

moga

Hi,

i think i got my tank in good calcium alkalinity state.

414ppm -calcium
8.3 ---alkalinity
1300 --mag.

i have 92 gallon no sump tank with few sps frags.

i am using ESV 2 parts gallon solution.
it says 1ml per each 4 gallon which i calculated 23 ml per day dose. is it right?

thanks.~

Your starting parameters are arguably perfect.

Instructions on the package are for those blindly dosing.

You will want to test alk daily for a few days to measure consumption, then calculate how much two-part to add. Dose each (alk and Ca) equally to start, based on the alk consumption.

Or you can start with the recommendation on the bottle, test daily, and adjust accordingly.

You may not see much consumption with just a few new SPS frags.

Your starting parameters are arguably perfect.

Instructions on the package are for those blindly dosing.

You will want to test alk daily for a few days to measure consumption, then calculate how much two-part to add. Dose each (alk and Ca) equally to start, based on the alk consumption.

Or you can start with the recommendation on the bottle, test daily, and adjust accordingly.

You may not see much consumption with just a few new SPS frags.

Ok. I will keep it in check...

Simple water changes should keep your numbers on point.
Dose only when corals use more than provided through water changes.

like others have said, without testing why would you blindly add things to the water.
Get some salifiert kits and test. Youll make this hobby so much easier.
Lots of people over complicate this hobby

Simple water changes should keep your numbers on point.
Dose only when corals use more than provided through water changes.

Lol how are you going to keep a tank stable that uses 1-2 dkh per day? Are you going to do a 50% water change every day to keep that up and by that stress your corals? Let's say you change 20% every week. Do the math and see by how much his parameters would climb up. You are better off dosing daily to keep your tank stable where you want it to be.

Lol how are you going to keep a tank stable that uses 1-2 dkh per day? Are you going to do a 50% water change every day to keep that up and by that stress your corals? Let's say you change 20% every week. Do the math and see by how much his parameters would climb up. You are better off dosing daily to keep your tank stable where you want it to be.

Not sure how you can determine what the Alk/CA usage is to rule out water changes.

The OP clearly states just a few frags, a weekly 10-15% change will be fine

Water changes are always safer than dosing.

Method of maintaining Alk/Ca has a lot to do with the amount of usage. My tank uses over 4 dKH/day. I do water changes but only for ?, no way they would keep up

Two part commercial dosing products would be way to costly.

I use a calcium reactor.

I have progressed from water changes to two part (make my own) and now ca reactor. I have experimented with Kalk but evap rates are to finicky.

I do keep two part (Randy's recipe) on hand for periodic required adjustments as the coral grow and consume more.

Back