Nuisance algae ID Help

gsxunv04

I have gone through several micro algae outbreaks, yet it seems whenever I get rid of one type, another is caused to breakout. I had red slime, then green hair algae that was thin, then thick, then I had dino's. Now I have this unidentified nuisance algae in some areas of my tank, and would like to kill it off before it spreads, like always.
It appears as a light colored film/snot that covers all surfaces of certain rocks and lays about 1/16"-1/8" thick. Here are some pictures:
DSC00162.jpg

DSC00202.jpg

DSC00203.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

any thoughts on what it is and how i can get rid of it? I have been doing 25 gallon water changes bi-monthly to try and get rid of it but nothing helps

I dont dose carbon sources, but use activated carbon, ROX 0.8 carbon, i replace it every 2 weeks, i run a few tablespoons in a mesh bag in my sump.

GAC is not the same as dosing vodka, sugar, or vinegar.

Are you talking about the white film on the glass, or the brown stuff on the rockwork? It does look like a turkeybaster would be worth using.

Also, is this live rock, base rock, previously live rock that you nuked prior to setting up this tank? Do you dose two part, or have a calcium or kalk reactor?

I am talking about the white/tan fuzzy stuff covering my rocks, the rocks have been in my tank for nearly 3 years. I dose two part supplements, ESV b-ionic, 40 ml of each daily.
THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!

For now, try blowing it all off the rocks with a turkey baster or small power head. Siphon it out or have your drain go into a filtersock. Then take new pictures so we can see it.

I'm curious what you discover.

You don't have to do the entire tank at once btw. No reason to unleash the beast, if you know what I mean. ;)

I do know what you mean...LOL, I had to open up a 6-pack of whoopass to get rid of green hair algae about a year ago, now Its time to do work on the mysterious PITA. It is only on a few rocks so I am going to do a water change and scrub the rock in the bucket of discarded water.

Back