Ocillaris going through bad breakup?

DeepThoughtMouse

Just put in a lot of decorative live rock and now my clowns won't talk to each other and they used to be absolutely obsessed with each other but now they just stay in their corners and don't come out until they get their mysis but I do remember trying the picture trick and herding them to get them to host their RBTA the night before so I'm wondering if I just really stressed them out with all the movement I've been making in the tank. Anybody got any tips or suggestions on how to maybe set the mood for them? Pic below. The RBTA is behind the rocks if your're wondering

Attachments

• IMG_20220909_222435.jpg
    IMG_20220909_222435.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
Just give them time; they should pop out within a week or so. Whether they pair up again may be a question.

I also tested the parameters just now and I guess I had a huge nitrate spike after putting the live rock in. I think there still might have been a bit more die off even after light scrub and rinse? And the female is swimming but laying in her corner? Sorry for the newb speculations, just a little concerned.

I also tested the parameters just now and I guess I had a huge nitrate spike after putting the live rock in. I think there still might have been a bit more die off even after light scrub and rinse? And the female is swimming but laying in her corner? Sorry for the newb speculations, just a little concerned.
What nitrate level did you measure? Clownfish laying on their side can be nothing other than they want to, so don't panic yet. Also to your original post, when you add/rearrange rocks or other decorations in an aquarium it confuses their territories. It's actually a strategy for introducing new fish to established populations. They usually work it out in a few days.

That makes so much since. Well I just did a 50% water change and brought the ph up to like 8.5 and the nitrate is down from like 20 to now about a 6-7. I'm thinking I will give them a couple days rest/super light mysis feed then another 30% water change and I'm hoping that will bring nitrate down to somewhere under 5. I want .5 but I don't think I'm gonna get that till I get my skimmer. I'm running an overhead filter with only charcoal and phosgaurd. I've introduced "5000" copepods (Poseidon's feast) not too long ago so I think I may have depleted them a bit? Probably not. magnesium/alkalinity/calcium are in check. All in all it seemed to have stabilized a bit and my anemone has even come back out and stretches his arms. But for a minute there I thought I was at the point of no return for some of the residence. Btw I've got a little puffer in there too. Is he gonna be a problem for the coralline algae in the future do you think?

Back