Octo in new tank pics....

goodman770

Well, my octo his happy as a clam. Did his official move today from a 30 to a 56 gallon. I'm still searching for who actually makes a 56 gallon so I can buy a glass canopy for it. It's looking now like I'm going to have to have one custom made. Ugh.
Anyway here is a pic of the Octo and new tank...

Cool pics! What sp is your octo? As for the glass top, if you don't mind sacrificinmg the current top you have, see about having Home Depot or someplace similar cut the glass for you and then trim the plastic pieces on the existing top to fit.

Sweet . I have an extra stand I'm thinking about building a small acrylic tank and getting one when I get done with my 150 reef . What sp. is that and what are the dimentions of the new tank ?

Thanks guys. The new tank is a 56 gallon. It's dimensions are 30x20x18 (I think the middle number is right, not pos). The hood that is on there is from a 40 breeder that I dont need. The sp is a bimac, and he is cool as dookie. He is about the size of my hand with his mantle being about the size of a small lemon.
When trying to move him from one tank to the next I tried baiting him by playing with a bio ball to get him in a clear bowl to then put him in the aclimaiting bucket. When I would move to fast he would head to the bottom of the tank. However, when looking up at me his curiosity would always get the better of him and he would come back up.

Bill

Goodman ,

The bimac is the larger octo isnt it ? The tank I will build would be 36 x 12 x 24 45g . Would that be big enough for a bimac for long term ?

Where did you buy your bimac ?

Also how big is your Ball python ?

The bimac is not a very big species and is great for Octo beginers for many reasons. Unlike most other ones they don't try to escape. I don't think I would even need a lid with this guy. A 45 would be great tank for one. A 30 is acceptable but, at least in my Octo's case, he is out a lot and likes plenty of space to swim and move verticaly. Most people in the ceph forum get their bimacs frow www.fishsupply.com. They did me right after a small misunderstanding, so I would highly recomend them. They also almost always have bimacs in. I believe they may now have babies in as well. Remember they only live for about 2 years, so try to get one as young as you can.

My python is about 1.5 feet. Not so big just yet. It's my first constrictor and he is pretty neat.
Best of Luck...
Bill :thumbsup:

How nice of you! I wish I could give my octopus a bigger tank, but I think his home is okay, its 40 gallons. Moving him from tank to tank would be simple, he would just jump right on my hand and doesnt mind coming out of the water one bit. Hey I have a ball python too. She is over 3 feet.

Rudiger said:
How nice of you! I wish I could give my octopus a bigger tank, but I think his home is okay, its 40 gallons. Moving him from tank to tank would be simple, he would just jump right on my hand and doesnt mind coming out of the water one bit. Hey I have a ball python too. She is over 3 feet.

You can handle it ? Sweet

I dont have a ball python , I jokingly call those toy snakes . I have a 9 foot burmese . Shes grown 6 feet in a year and a half .

Rudiger said:
wow, what does it eat?

If your asking about the snake she eats full grown rabbits now . I had a heck of a time getting her off rats . 4 jumbo rats a week gets expensive .

Hi Bill

thats great that you got a bigger tank for your bimac. My new tanks(s) should be up and running in about a month or so. I'll make sure I post a pic or two too!

Any idea what sort of growth your octo has had? EG when did you get it and how much has it grown?

I also notice that there are only a few rocks in your tank. Does the octopus spend much time in the rocks or is it normally in plain view?

cheers
Colin

Hi Colin,

I'd like to see some pics when you have your new ones set up. I'd also like to see some pics of some other species you have besided bimac.
I only have a few rocks in there for a couple reasons. The first is that I don't really want to have a lot of closed spaces for crayfish parts, etc to accumulate. Second is money, between the stuff for this tank and my reef tank I need a second job. :cool:
Lastly, my bimac is completly at ease in his tank. He is out about 1/2 the time and really doesn't spend much time "hiding". If the TV is on, he is in the living room, he is out roaming around. I hope to get about 1/3 more rock before it's over and done and do some aquascaping. Do you have any full length pics of some of your tanks? I'd like to see how you set up your rock. What I may do is get some PVC pipe and hide it behind some rocks.

Bill

Hi Bill

thats great that you got a bigger tank for your bimac. My new tanks(s) should be up and running in about a month or so. I'll make sure I post a pic or two too!

Any idea what sort of growth your octo has had? EG when did you get it and how much has it grown?

I also notice that there are only a few rocks in your tank. Does the octopus spend much time in the rocks or is it normally in plain view?

cheers
Colin

Back