Only running a skimmer in my reef tank?

Glocknife

I have a 32 gallon BioCube and eshopps 10-35 gallon skimmer. The skimmer would only fit in the middle chamber so is this good or bad? The skimmer I'd the only kind of filtration besides the 30 pounds of live rock in the tank only have 5 small fish and 3 coral

I have a 32 gallon BioCube and eshopps 10-35 gallon skimmer. The skimmer would only fit in the middle chamber so is this good or bad? The skimmer I'd the only kind of filtration besides the 30 pounds of live rock in the tank only have 5 small fish and 3 coral
The Triton Core 7 methodology of care for reef tanks uses only a skimmer and rock for filtration. It is a proven method of reef keeping.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Same thing with carbon dosing. All you need is a carbon source (vodka, vinegar, numerous specialty products like zeovit, etc) and a skimmer. Should be fine. Water changes weekly in a small tank like that is key. Keep an eye on your nitrates and phosphates. Depending on the type of coral you're keeping, you'll want them to be low or very low (for SPS).

For a setup like this water changes are your friend. This is the basis for 95% of reef tanks and most only add a few more pieces of equipment like a reactor for GFO(phosphate removal) and Auto top off to keep from having to manually fill the evap water.

I would highly recommend getting an auto top off just to make your life a little easier. As your tank sits now as long as you keep up with your water changes it is perfectly suitable as a reef tank, taking into consideration that you have the correct lighting for a reef tank.

The KISS method (Keep it simple stupid) is often the easiest way to keep a tank because there's less for there to go wrong.

Good luck!

For a setup like this water changes are your friend. This is the basis for 95% of reef tanks and most only add a few more pieces of equipment like a reactor for GFO(phosphate removal) and Auto top off to keep from having to manually fill the evap water.

I would highly recommend getting an auto top off just to make your life a little easier. As your tank sits now as long as you keep up with your water changes it is perfectly suitable as a reef tank, taking into consideration that you have the correct lighting for a reef tank.

The KISS method (Keep it simple stupid) is often the easiest way to keep a tank because there's less for there to go wrong.

Good luck!

+1 The most successful nano tanks I've ever had looked their best when doing 10% or more water changes once a week RELIGIOUSLY. My current tank is a 38G with a small sump so probably around 40G total water volume. It's only about a month and a half old but I plan on changing out 5G or so a week. Use good quality salt too.

Back