Opinion: Filter floss or sock

Brieninsac

Like everyone I hate cleaning my filter socks. Even using mesh socks I'm still changing them out every three days. So I've decided to try using a cup filled with filter-floss. The idea of just throwing out the filter floss and replacing it is appealing. But so far I'm not sure if I'm seeing the convenience. What I am disappointed with is having to rinse the filter floss before use or your skimmer goes crazy. So I was curious how others view the benefits of using filter floss over socks.

Yeah not much convenience with filter floss as stuff will still build up.

I use mesh socks, and swap out every 3 days, invert, spray in the sink, let drip dry, and swap with other socks in the mean time. I don't feel the need to do anything other than rinse with the mesh socks, they dont hang onto crap like felt ones do.

I haven't had the issue with my skimmer going crazy. I just stuff the new floss in and go. But I can't decide if the convenience is worth it yet. I think in the long run the floss will eventually add up and cost me more. Right now I have a reefer 750 so it has 4 sock holders and I'm currently running 2 with socks and 2 with cups and floss.

Back