opinion on bring home vs leave at store

petere1989

So I bought a heniochus black and white butterflyfish a week back. long story short, it got ick and i took it out of the tank, took it back to the store. The guy was really cool, and said he'd run copper and maybe do a freshwater dip for me. I am not sure though, if I should bring the fish home or not. He was also getting chewed on by my white tail trigger and my puffer fish. he seemed really peaceful and some of my fish are just the opposite. any opinions? (i won't get any money back and would consider it a loss)

You mean you had it in your display tank with ich?
If he was in your tank and brought in ich, then you took him out to be treated at the LFS, then you put him back in your display he is going to have ich again because it is now in your tank and on your other fish. You need to have all of your other fish treated as well and wait about 10 to 12 weeks to put them back in the display tank so that the crypotcaryon has time to die off with no fish in the tank.

I think you answered your own question.
He had ick, and will get ick again if you reintroduce.
That is if he makes it that long because obviously your other livestock doesn't want him there.

So what I am not understanding is how in the heck is he treating the fish you brought in if he is out of it.

Most establishments of the fish variety have "store-use only" bottles. Ya know, just in case. :beer:

Good luck with the treatment, OP!

keep at store

keep at store

Something I do with any fish I get from a LFS is ask for them to hold the fish after you put a deposit or pay or however they work with you. It gives you time to see how the fishes health is going to either change or stay as is. Always ask how the store receives their livestock and how long the animal has been in their systems. If they have only had the animal for a couple days let the store hold them to see whether the trip is going to have an effect on the health. Most quality stores will quarantine new arrivals before putting up for sale. Just my two cents

Your tank needs to be 3 months without fish to ich in DT to go away. Fish need to be copper treated or hypo treated just right to get ich off them. Good luck. Need a proper way to maintain bacteria in QT as well.

Don't treat the fish in your display tank.
Read up on marine ich life cycles to better understand how long you need to leave the display tank fishless while you treat.
In both instances the timeframe is about 4 weeks. I refer to watch the fish after treatment for at least an additional week.

Don't treat the fish in your display tank.
Read up on marine ich life cycles to better understand how long you need to leave the display tank fishless while you treat.
In both instances the timeframe is about 4 weeks. I refer to watch the fish after treatment for at least an additional week.

Sorry, but the more up to date information is now 11 weeks.

Back