Opinion on pistol shrimp with Hawkfish

edsbeaker

Hi,
I would like to add two shrimp gobies with a pistol shrimp into my tank that has a flame hawkfish. Will the gobies be enough protection for the shrimp? The gobies (pink bar) are 3", but the shrimp is small, 3/4"

Never tried it but the most vulnerable period for a shrimp is right after molting and the pistols will be in their tunnel with entrances sealed when this occurs which should afford some protection.
Another issue might be aggression from the hawk toward the gobies if your tank is small as both the goby and the hawk are bottom dwellers. Ime some flames are perfectly peaceful while others can be a bit aggressive.
Myles

Thank you.. that was helpful. I'm not sure that I want to risk the well being of the gobies. I'll have to think about this.

I have both with no issues at all. Unless he is very large the hawkfish wont mess with the shrimp and his big claw. I do agree if your tank is small the hawk may not love the gobies but as long as they can get out of each other's way I don't think you will have a problem. With the exception of being a mysis shrimp destroyer my hawk has always been a model citizen and he's almost 3 inches. Even leaves my little peppermint shrimp alone.

Back