Orange Disc on Snail

Ryancalz

Hey everyone, does anyone happen do know what this orange disc is that is on my snail? My snails don’t have it to begin with (not that I see anyways) and after they develop it they die shortly after. This orange disc of death has appeared on both my astrea and red banded snails. I have included a couple of pictures.

After the snail dies the orange disc will sometimes detach itself, however it doesn’t move around on its own.

Thank you for your insight.

Attachments

• IMG_7238.jpeg
    IMG_7238.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7239.jpeg
    IMG_7239.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7112.jpeg
    IMG_7112.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
Parasite of some kind would be my guess but I’ve never seen anything like that before.

Hmmm…

Whatever it is it has worked its way in between the snail and the shell so I don’t know how I can possibly get to it anymore. I also don’t see any in the tank and they always stay with the snail when it dies (I throw it out with the snail whenever they die) so I don’t know where they are coming from

Looking more into it appears to be the Operculum. Cover for their hole. However, I don’t remember it starting off bright orange like it gets when the snail dies. Maybe as a snail gets sick their trap door starts changing colors

It is indeed the operculum. I have not seen one change colour. Normally on side is attached to the snail's flesh. In that last picture it looks partially detached. Could something be trying to eat your snails?

The only other livestock I have in the tank is a clownfish and a watchman goby. So I don’t believe anything is going after them

The orange operculum is one thing but I think your first picture is something else and matches the flatworm from the link @griss provided.

Pericelis.png
slug_maybe.png

Thanks everybody for the help. I think it is just the operculum. I just never noticed it being bright orange on my snails until they were about ready to die

Back