Oranngetang's First Build

oranngetang

This will be my log of converting an existing 72 G freshwater bow-front to saltwater. I've recently taken a well established 29G Biocube off of a friend's hands and it sparked or at least renewed an interest in keeping saltwater fish. Please feel free to comment or critique anything along the way. This is new to me hobby, and while I feel I've put a fair bit of thought into some of what I'm doing, a lot of it may be firing from the hip. I'll start with a bit of a write up and add photos when I'm able.

The Tank

A 72 gallon bow-front and stand that I purchased new from Petsmart several years ago for around $300 CAD. It's served me well to keep a variety of freshwater fish, mainly Malawi Cichlids over the years, with a Fluval 404 and 203 canister filter, single 50 W T8 and 300 W heater.

The stand has a cutout, and is the same stand Oceanic was selling with their saltwater-ready 72 and 92 gallon bow-fronts. That said, Aqueon was already selling these for them, and there was no drilled overflow holes, proper canopy nor is one available.

I attempted to create a canopy by using a flush-cut router bit to trace out the curve in the tank. The result was a lot of frustration, wasted wood product, and a seized bearing that cooked the trim on my aquarium. I used some body-filler, sand paper and Krylon paint to restore it to somewhat presentable shape, but not before scratching the crap out of the previously-perfect glass... Oh well, lesson learned I guessed. I decided at this point to also paint the back pane of glass black.

Needing to add an overflow, I initially considered having a bottom drilled design, however reading some information on the Oceanic website, they state that ALL of their aquariums have a tempered base. To me, this pretty well meant I had to run some for of rear mount overflow, of either a hang-on U-tube or drilled internal style overflow box using bulkhead(s).

I feel I somewhat 'settled' on an Eshopps Eclipse overflow, size medium. It utilizes a single 1.5" bulkhead, with 2 x 1" bulkheads feeding to the sump. Alternatively, I would have run a 3 x bulkhead drain for a Bean overflow, such as the Synergy Reef or Elite Aquatics but could not justify the extra expense on my first saltwater aquarium. Also, since I'd be drilling the tank myself, the Eshopps overflow included the diamond hole-saw bit and left less room for error. It was also in stock at JL Aquatics for about $160 CAD, which was the lowest price I could find for it.

Using 'settled' as a description of the Eshopps product might lead you to believe it's not a great product, though the opposite is true. I am quite happy with the overflow. It takes some fine tuning to be quiet, and the red safety pipe sits a little high for comfort. I feel for ~$160 CAD it could have come with a stainer to help kill the whirlpool noise, or incorporate a baffle to prevent this. Unless I pinch in the overflow hose enough to raise the level so it constantly trickles down the emergency overflow, it will funnel and suck air. The template, bit and hardware made it easy and quick to install. For whatever reason the instructions asked to double stack the gaskets. Upon installation, I found having a gasket on either side of the glass provided a better seal, than stacking the gaskets on one side, as directed.

I used glue-in barb fittings to run 1" ID reinforced vinyl tubing to from the overflow reservoir to the sump inlet compartment. The main overflow line has a 1" ball valve on it, the emergency line is straight through. There is no 'holder' for the hoses, so I cut a 'mule's shoe" into the bottom of the hoses so that it wasn't able to push against the glass and completely close itself off.

Eager to get the rest of the aquarium prepped for the equipment I had ordered, I looked up the typical drill size for a 3/4" ABS bulkhead and found that whatever I ended up drilling, was larger than ideal. Off-hand, I think may have forgotten I was using 3/4" return lines and used a 45 mm bit for the holes, when a 38 mm was probably closer to what I should have used.

Either way, they DO seal. I'll order up some heavy-duty 3/4" bulkheads in the future to see if I can sneak them into the holes I drilled, for a more long-term, leak-free solution. As is, there have been NO leaks. I placed a single 3/4" return bulkhead about 4" from the top and 4" from the side of the tank in both corners of the rear glass. The tank side is a threaded end, which I used to thread in a 3/4" Loc-line adapter with a 6" flexible nozzle on either side. On the sump side, I glued in a 90 slip to barb fitting, and ran 3/4" ID reinforced clean vinyl tubing. No, I didn't run a check valve, or valve of any other kind on the return lines. They simply tee together ~16" from the return pump and feed from a single 3/4" barb fitting off of the pump.

The Sump

I bought a beat up ~30 gallon plastic trimmed aquarium from a person on kijiji for $40 CAD. She kept snakes in the tank, and the trim was cracked and chewed up. I removed all of the trim, took a straight razor to all of the exterior silicone and gave it a good cleaning. Fearing the worst, I re-sealed all internal seams.

My plan was to use glass for baffles, but oddly found myself doing this on a long weekend and no glass shops were open. I settled on using acrylic sheeting, knowing I'd likely eventually have some separation issues if I chose to use a standard silicone to hold them in place. After watching several online videos of what works to glue silicone, I found an interesting demonstration showing a GE product that seemed to bond to acrylic extremely well. 6 hours of shopping around later I found that this product (GE-55), simply is not sold in Canada... I picked up a tube of generic GE silicone I, containing no mold or mildew killers and went to work.

The first compartment is 14" tall and acts only as a compartment for the two overflow hoses to spill into. This weir holds the hoses out of the way, and acts as a support for what will be my filter sock mount. the second weir is also 14", but is raised off the bottom 2 DVD cases high, which allows filter-sock water to run under and into what will be my protein skimmer compartment. This first compartment allows a lot of the bubbles from the overflow to surface before hitting the filter socks.

I used two 4" Red Sea 225 micron filter socks, that fit snuggly in piece of acryclic with two 3.5" holes cut in it. I bought four so I could switch them out between cleanings.

The protein skimmer compartment is designed to fit a Reef Octopus 110SS, with a 12" weir to allow for perhaps something else. This weir basically sets my 'fuge' height, so I left it at 12" and will build a stool for the skimmer to sit on if I can ever afford to buy one, since it will likely need around 7" of depth.

The fuge section is the bulk of the sump, with only a small 3-weir over-under-over bubble trap separating it from the return pump reservoir. I took several photos along the way of painting, damaging, building the tank and sump, but they seem to have disappeared from my phone.

Attachments

• 3-4 hole.jpg
    3-4 hole.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 0
  • drilled back.jpg
    drilled back.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 1
  • overflow.jpg
    overflow.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1
  • new tank.jpg
    new tank.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 2
  • socks.jpg
    socks.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Lighting

I grabbed an old Coralife Pro fixture from a local fish guy that I've grabbed some frags and an anemone from in the past. It needed a good cleaning, new LED shields, a new PC bulb and the fan was noisy.

Specs on the unit are as follows:

2 x 150 W double ended HQI MH bulbs
2 x 96 W actinic PC bulbs
3 x 1 W blue LED
120 mm 120 V cooling fan

Between Amazon, eBay and another local fish person, I was able to source two new 14K 150W bulbs for $25 CAD, a new 96 W actinic bulb for $45 CAD and a new fan with a variable speed controller for $25. With the initial cost of the light being $150, I was in for about $250 bucks for a fairly bright fixture.

Saltwatercritters.com out of the US found me discontinued Coralife hanging hardware kit and shipped it up for about $40 CAD. I purchases a shelf from Home Depot to hang it from for about another $40 bucks with the extra heavy duty anchors I purchased. So for under $350, and $20 a month in hydro I have a newish hanging fixture that I feel looks good enough to reside in my dining room area. I've since installed some adhesive LED strips, about 6 ' in total inside this fixture for night lighting. Brightness and color tone are very adjustable. I often set it to red, and come down to watch the night critters do their thing long after the sun has gone down. It's honestly more interesting to me than watching the fish in the day light.

Pumps and Other Stuff

Being on a budget, I opted for all Jecod / Jebao gear. The return pump is a DCS-3000 rated at up to ~800 gph, and the two wavemakers are PP-4 units rated at up to 1050 gph. I hear 6 times your display tank volume is the recommended return pump output. Including the sump that would peg me at about 560 gph required, and with a ~5 foot head, I figured the DCS-3000 should do fine without being at maximum power all of the time. They're all DC pumps and extremely quiet with individual controllers that have bright LED indicators to show mode and pump intensity. I couldn't be happier with these units for the price. Purchased these and the majority of plumbing from reefsupplies.ca

I carried over my old Fluval 300 w heater. It still works, if needed. I think the lighting will provide enough warmth, seeing as how the 29 g biocube has an overheating issue without a heater in the same home.

Power bars are fairly inexpensive 'Woods' brand from Rona. They're plugged into a power backup supply / surge protector with the top bar running the pumps, LED strips and LED built-in lighting, and the bottom bar running the MH and PC bulbs through a digital timer. Double sided adhesive backing holds the controllers, while velcro tape holds the power bars.

Skimmer... Well, I don't have one yet. I'm looking at the Reef Octopus 110SSS, but am open to suggestions and used equipment on this one. Whatever is lowest maintenance and requires not a lot of attention.

Attachments

• sand.jpg
    sand.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 0
  • stripled.jpg
    stripled.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 0
  • acfan.jpg
    acfan.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1
  • pumps.jpg
    pumps.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 0
  • electronics.jpg
    electronics.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Rock and Living Stuff

A guy in town who's been out of the hobby a while had a post on kijiji for live rock (or not so live) for $1/lb. I show up at his house and he's got about a 120 g aquarium full to the top of rock. They went overseas for a while, so he disconnected the circulation pumps and we both assumed pretty much all of it was dead, or mostly dead.

We weighed out about 95 lbs of rock ( less than half the aquarium )in a couple of pails, handed him $100 bucks and went home to figure out how to get this rock cycling.

I should mention that this all happened a couple of weeks prior to even taking down the freshwater tank, which so happens to be ~850 km from where it would eventually be moved to.

To mix up some water I went straight from the tap, no conditioner, no chlorine remover, no nothing, and added enough Instant Ocean salt to get an SG of 1.023. Dropped the rock and two circulating pumps into a large plastic tote, covered it and let it do it's thing outside on the porch.

After a few hours of circulation, I took a full chemistry test to see what was coming off this rock. My 3 API kits and my Hagen kits wouldn't read any Nitrates, I'll get into that another time. However, my API test strips showed a dark pink, likely around 180 or more PPM of NO3. So this is what I saw.

PH 7.9
NH3 0 ppm
NO2 0 ppm
NO3 180 ppm
PO4 2 ppm
dKH 10
Ca 440 ppm

I threw in 2 sacks of purigen, changed half the water the next morning and poured in about 1/4 cup of Kent Microvert to start the cycling. It sat there like this for close to 3 weeks before I transferred it into the aquarium.

The SG on transfer day was 1.025 and...

PH 8.0
NH3 0 ppm
NO2 0 ppm
NO3 ~60 ppm
PO4 0.2 ppm
dKH 10.7
Ca 460 ppm

It took me a couple of hours to get the rock placed in a way I think I could live with it. Once in, I mixed up ~60 gallons of Instant Ocean, poured it in, hooked up the overflow and waited... A package was on its way in the mail with the pumps and bulkheads for the return lines. For the time being, I used my old Fluval 404, as a circulating pump, as well as the other two I had in the tote outside. I dumped in some frozen brine shrimp and more microvert to try and get an ammonia result from this rock over the next couple of days. In the Fluval 404 I used two media sacks of carbon, and two sacks of Fluval Clearmax to help pull nitrates from the system.

The next day my hardware showed up with my 60 lbs of Fiji Pink Agra Alive. I added that with some other 'dead' sand I had laying around and hooked up all the plumbing and pumps. Roughly 75 lbs of sand, 95 lbs of rock in this aquarium.

Over the next few days I took many water samples, and noticed the ZERO gain in ammonia or nitrites... Either this rock is totally dead, or, this aquarium cycled outside in that tote,and is very much more alive than I had imagined.

Since then I moved my problematic Valentini Puffer and two 3 year old Blue/Green Chromis from my Biocube into this aqaurium. After a few days of still no ammonia or nitrite levels, and daily water changes (now using RO water), I plunked in a couple of small Nassarius snails, 2 red Scarlet hermits and a pair Black Percs, and a Lawnmower Blenny with a chunk of blue Palythoa and orange Zoanthids, to see what would happen.

After 3 days of regular feeding, ammonia began to climb. I used some Seachem Prime and Stability along the way and kept up with water changes to keep ammonia well below 0.5 ppm. The highest nitrite level I've seem was ~0.125 ppm. Nitrates have climbed from 0-0.5 ppm to 2 ppm.

Since I've been away my Smart ATO Micro arrived. My girlfriend set it up last night over Facetime and it looks to work great. The hamper that the cat is on is the RO top-up reservoir.

Attachments

• cloudy tank.jpg
    cloudy tank.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • chromis.jpg
    chromis.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0
  • blenny.jpg
    blenny.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 0
  • bluetanknew.jpg
    bluetanknew.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hitchhikers

The night before the percs went in is when I added the multicolor LED array to the PC reflectors. After a couple of hours of darkness, I turned on the red LEDs and had a look around the tank. There were bristleworms, other worms, stuff I don't even know what it is, climbing around the tank and actively looking for food.

This was a surprise, since rock had been circulating outside in a tote for weeks, and prior to that was in a stagnant aquarium with NO3 levels higher than I'm sure our test kits can read, for months. The size of the worms is what has been so surprising. I'd understand if dormant eggs hatched, or something like that, but some of these worms have stretched out 6 or more inches from their hiding places. I've witnessed a bristle worm eating a nassarius snail, and another worm (no idea what it is) attacking an Astraea snail, which was in the morning, dead and missing from it's shell.

Attachments

• worm.jpg
    worm.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Sounds like your still cycling from the die off of your live rock, and the hitchhikers that survived the ordeal are hungry for a snack. This is one reason I'm very reluctant to use live rock from anything but a trusted source. You can make some traps out of plastic deli containers with lid and an X scored in the side and some plastic pieces holding it open so that when the worm tries to get out it pushes the pieces back out trapping it in. Oh and make sure to prime the trap with some raw crustacean meat.

That is possible, but it seems to me there would have been ammonia, nitrites or increasing nitrates in that tote if there WAS any die off in there. Moving into the new aquarium, I didn't see any gains for several days and that was only after adding new livestock, which I would expect to see ammonia and nitrites from, given the rock would only support enough of a biofilter to regulate just the rock. Am I off?

After much reading, and the loss of a Turbo snail, Astra snail and Nassarius, two of which were covered in mucus, I'm considering these worms are the dreaded Oenone... I'll make an effort to capture some photos when I'm back from work. This would explain why all of the snails died in the 29 G bio cube in a friends tank that I've recently taken off his hands... Jerk worms!

A few weeks have passed without any other snail deaths, and I have not seen this worm in some time.

The sump now houses an Innovative Marine Reactor and IceCap K2-160 skimmer. The pump on the reactor could be quieter, and more powerful for what it cost, but it isn't a deal breaker. The skimmer is skimming, though it's very very wet and dilute. It's 0.25" over the maximum recommended depth at this time. I'll make an adjustment in the future and see how that balances things out.

View attachment 356754

I posted some comments here regarding some other concerns about the skimmer, mainly a poorly fitting air intake.

My first, and last shipment of livestock from JL Aquatics came in. The Flame Angel and 6 Line Wrasse were DOA. Everything else seems to have made it. I'm about 10 days in from receiving the livestock and havn't noticed anything die, though the long-spine urchin has shed a few spines. We've supplemented his algae grazing activities with some nori on a paperclip, which is tricky to do because the Yellow Tang gets pretty excited about nori in the tank.

Future fish orders are being made through a local guy who brings in small orders as requested. I found JL's shipping practices to be far below what I expected.

I grabbed a Yellow Tang and 6 Line Wrasse from this guy the following day and they've been doing very well. I suspect the absence of bristleworms may be because of the Wrasse.

I replaced the 10K metal halide bulbs with fresh 14K bulbs and the spectrum is much more blue than I had anticipated. This halted my nuisance algae completely and I'm now worried that my clean-up crew may not have enough. Between the Lawnmower Blenny and the Tang alone, they can clean up the tank in a hurry.

The GSP on the photo below was about a 0.5" piece I cut off a colony in the Biocube and glued to this rock. This was my first ever 'fragging' attempt, and seems to have worked out. I initially placed about 11 living polyps on the rock, which is now 30 or more.

The Wheelers Goby and Pistol Shrimp moved in together immediately. I rarely see the shrimp. He'll shuffle out of the den once in a while, just to reverse back in. When feeding I find it most interesting that the Goby, while normally motionless will violently grab a frozen shrimp floating by and take it into the den for the shrimp before feeding himself. Very cool.

Total livestock is now:

1x Yellow Tang (3")
1x Coral Beauty Angelfish(2")
1x Six Line Wrasse (1.5")
2x Black Percula Clownfish (2")
2x Green Chromis (2")
1x Lawnmower Blenny (2.5")
1x Bi-Color Blenny (2.5")
1x Wheeler's Shrimp Goby (2.5")

1x Black Long Spine Urchin
1x Blue Tuxedo Urchin
1x Tiger Pistol Shrimp
1x Cleaner Shrimp
1x Rose Bubble Tip Anenome
2x Halloween Hermits
9x Assorted Hermits

3x Margarita Snails
4x Spiny Astrea Snails
2x Turbo Snails
7x Nassarius Snails

Blue Palythoa
Red Zoanthids
Green Star Polyps

As far as fish go, I plan to add a Potters Angel and that is all.

Attachments

• goby.jpg
    goby.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1
  • gsp.jpg
    gsp.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cMlNiBO6v1M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Added a DCS-4000 as the main return pump, moving the DCS-3000 to the live rock compartment for circulation and as a backup pump.

IceCap skimmer is working great. I have it set to pull about 0.25" per day, which seems to keep nitrates at ~1-2.5 ppm between water changes.

Had a bit of a red hair slime outbreak a month ago. Treated with Red Slime Stain Remover and disconnected the skimmer for a week. Slime was gone within 3 days, but the removal of the chemical though carbon, skimming and water changes seemed to take a couple of weeks before the skimmer returned to normal operation.

Added a fair amount of live stock since the last posts, grabbing most of it from hobbyists getting out of the hobby or downsizing.

Recent coral additions include:

Pulsing Xenia
Acropora Birds of Paradise
Montipora Green
Purple clove
Mushroom Leather
Australian Green Torch
Daisy Polyps
Neon Orange Chalice
Unidentified Leather Coral

Everything seems happy. Chalice had to be moved deeper as it was retracting under the MH bulbs.

Beautiful tank! I would suggest you consider removing the coral beauty angel before adding the Potter's. In my experience the Potter's can be pretty sensitive and hard to keep. The coral beauty in my opinion will increase his stress level and make him more timid. Best of luck whatever you decide!

The Potter's Angel is no closer to me than it was when I first mentioned it. Not sure if I'll get my hands on one in the near future.

I'll likely try them together after moving some rocks or coral around to mix things up on the Coral Beauty. Will play it by ear if it happens.

As is, I'd rather transfer my large RBTA from the 29G for the Black Percs to find a home before adding more fish. That anemone is getting huge.

Back