Orapxi Digital Salinity Reader (SG)

Dave_Buffalo

I bought an ORAPXI Digital Salinity tester about 6 months ago. When first turning it on, it read the air as 1.000 SG salinity, and my tank reading seems accurate at 1.025, which is the same reading I get when tested at my LFS.

The last week or so it's been reading the air at .0998 or .0999 SG. I cleaned the probes but I get the same results. I'm wondering if I should:

a) Not care, because it's not designed to read "air" accurately
b) Order calibration fluid and re-calibrate, which I don't really feel like doing.

At only 6 months old, I wouldn't expect it to need re-calibration already??

From what I have heard (no personal experience) digital salinity meters aren’t very accurate/remain accurate.

From what I have heard (no personal experience) digital salinity meters aren’t very accurate/remain accurate.
Well I think you're right. I went ahead and ordered some 1.026 calibration fluid and was beyond pissed to see that my POS ORARPXI meter reads it as 1.019. So my tank salinity is off the charts thanks to this POS meter. I threw it away, blasted them on Amazon, and will go buy a refractometer instead. Crap device should not need calibration after only 6 months, and should NEVER be this far off.

Ugh, sorry to hear that. Keep an eye on the refractometer too. I hadn’t calibrated mine in a while and when I did, I found my salinity was way low😳

Ugh, sorry to hear that. Keep an eye on the refractometer too. I hadn’t calibrated mine in a while and when I did, I found my salinity was way low😳
I think it's BS that we sent men to the moon 50 years ago and we cannot build an affordable, self-calibrating salinity meter?

Back