Ordered an ELOS 120XL with Quiet Drain 2, it came with "Quiet Drain 3" surprise?

Kinetic

I was looking forward to the ELOS Quiet Drain 2, especially with the dual return (I'm running the tank as a peninsula, so was going to run half of the flow from somewhere in the middle of the tank with the bottom return). When I took delivery of the tank last week, the overflow looks completely different. The instructions even said Quiet Drain II.

I reached out to Francois at ELOS, and he simply said that I'm a lucky owner of a Quiet Drain 3, and that it has a single return and bigger plumbing. I haven't gotten any information or instructions back on what the specifications of a Quiet Drain 3 is, so no idea what the flow capabilities etc. are. He never got back to me on the specifications of it, nor instructions, so I'm looking to see if anyone here knows.

I'm not in love with getting this kind of surprise, and I can't find anything about it.

Does anyone have this "Quiet Drain 3" and can share some information about it?

Anyway, here are some photos of it (I also got a left-hand overflow option, hence the placement difference):

_DSC3391.jpg

_DSC3393.jpg

_DSC3394.jpg

_DSC3395.jpg

What are you planning for this tank?

What do you mean? I was planning to run it with the Quiet Drain 2 flow rates, utilize the second return (that's on the bottom) to push water from the other side by running some plumbing, but the second return doesn't exist on this one, and I have no idea what the GPH is for this drain.

What kind of livestock are you planning on keeping?
Do you mean this will change the situation with the Quiet Drain 2 or 3? I'm confused. Or are you just asking in general, off the topic of the post? I'm going to have ample flow that isn't related to the return/drain, so it has nothing to do with that. Turnover is going to be fine, but I've already planned my return pump, manifolds, uv, and other equipment based on what the drain can handle. But again, I literally have no idea what the drain can handle. It could be 5,000gph. It could be 100gph. I have no idea. That's why I'm searching for some answers that ELOS themselves won't give me.

I know you want specifics but I can't see them adding one that does less than the previous drain on the same system. The fact it has bigger plumbing would likely indicate it does more.

I know you want specifics but I can't see them adding one that does less than the previous drain on the same system. The fact it has bigger plumbing would likely indicate it does more.

Yeah, I agree. It couldn't be worse, right?

But honestly, the build quality of this one looks very poor vs. what I've seen on the Quiet Drain 2. It's far worse than my Red Sea Reefer, in terms of fit and finish. Maybe this is the moment when they're cheapening out on this overflow? I don't know, I hope not, but I'd like to know for sure. I paid a ton for this tank setup thinking it would be amazing, but it's just a big fat question mark at this point.

My bad. I was just curious. Sorry.

It's ok, I just didn't know what you were asking.

If you want to know:
1. SPS
2. H. Magnifica anemone (already have)
3. Colorado Sunburst anemone (already have)
4. Genicanthus Bellus pair
5. Lyretail Anthias
6. Chalk bass
7. Goby/pistol pair
8. My clownfish pair
9. Orchid Dottyback pair
10. Maybe a white tail bristletooth tang

Some other fish maybe later, not too sure yet.

Back