ORP probe - need calibration?

FishProf

I know the manual says it does not, but it tends to drift over time.
A friend told me to submerge it in vinegar to 'rejuvenate' it.

Who's right??

Thanks,

FP

btw - many of your retailers [conveniently?] have not updated their prices ...

Unless the ORP reading is way out of range, I don't recommend that you calibrate it. Most of the ORP calibration solution on the market is very inaccurate, and will result in a less accurate calibration then the default.
I do recommend that you clean the ORP probe periodically with a soft bristled toothbrush to remove the biofilm that develops on the tip of the probe. Unless there is Ca plating on the probe you shouldn't have to use vinegar.
Our resellers have been informed a couple of times about our pricing changes; don't know why they are so slow to update there websites.

Curt

Thanks Curt,

But I'm not absolutely sure of your answer.
Do you say - no need to 'rejuvenate' the ORP? So, how come it tends to drift, and how come the vinegar treatment realigns it?

Resellers - the answer is pretty simple, it would seem. They have in their inventory the higher-priced unit and they don't want to be the ones 'eating' the discount. By being 'slow' they earn more money ... [just like the supermarkets 'forgetting' to update prices down].

FP

The biofilm on the probe may cause the ORP to drift up over time. Just removing it with a toothbrush will correct this problem; with my system it is not necessary to use vinegar.

Curt

Back