OT: advice for purchasing 1st boat?

sinful

I'm interested in purchasing a boat (used). The experience I have is operating an MK2 boat in the army 15 years ago which will be totally different than what I'm currently looking for. That boat had twin 300hp diesel engines with scoops and could turn on a dime!

What I initially was looking for was a bay boat, but I think I've changed to now looking for a flats boat. I live in central Florida, so I would say the majority of the use will be freshwater, however I do plan to move to the coast in the next couple years and will be heading to both sides of the state as much as time allows to get as much experience as possible. I would say this will not be a long time boat, as I know I will sell/upgrade in the next couple years if I enjoy it.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should be looking for? I've checked craigslist and found boats that look good anywhere from 5-10k (my price range). I want to be in a good position on the boat to where its not going to kill me when I upgrade to something bigger.

If anyone has time and knows boats, it would be great if you could join me to check some boats out in person. I know nothing and everyone always tells me to NEVER buy a boat used?

What would you like to use a boat for will determine what type of boats you should get.
I assume you like to go fishing and sometimes jump in the water. If so then I suggest a boat with large open area and also must have a retractable or folding ladder. Lots of people who like to swim off a boat understand the importance of a good strong ladder.

Thank you for the reply. I would say this boat will mainly be for fishing and learning saltwater. Eventually swimming will be great but Id put a two year limit on this boat, if that(kids are 5 and 2)

If you can afford it or monthly payments, I would recommend buying a new boat and selling/trading in when you are ready to upgrade. I have owned 3 used boats and they were all unreliable. I gotta say there is nothing worse than breaking down off shore with the kids.
Cheers! Mark

Take it from a salty old dog, that use to fish in the middle grounds.

Get a CapeHorn used, if need be just repower new, with an older boat.
You save some $$$.

I use to own 17ft (8-inch draft.) and use to head 50 miles offshore without any fear.
These boats cannot sink, they are foam filled and do not have any secondary hull to worry about water being filled up.
They have 2 holes in the back that releases all the water back to the gulf. I have been in rough seas and taken so much water because of those two holes with flappers it was a non-issue.

FYI CapeHorn are named by the roughest seas in Southern Headland of South America :)

Having some experience running far offshore in a small boat (23' deep vee single outboard), fishing tuna on rigs on the shelf in the Gulf out to 90mi or so, I would say that while Cape Horns and other foam filled hulls are capable of getting out there, it is not for the feint of heart, and not something you do with young kids -

I would personally look for a small flat or tunnel hull 18' boat, older hull is ok if it has been repowered. Engine trouble with outboard increases proportionally with age, while a little DIY electrical savvy can keep an older hull moving reliably provided the engine is solid and newer.

- Goose
hKMrLBBepUZhiCo-65Z9mkEnFyCw4nFluPzTp81zi_aAKZfu5_FvP5249uDMHClqxO_WiXOrqTw4SPC1wy9E9AYH5eoCWhDaQwVShqiqM1jz7SjZnsh-Wl3lGeyTzZEiW1wpESlkN1Qa49YNOjgwT7eJ56Avs8sYjFSRUJkQdCLu8AmFV1CnB2XpdI12fuW_ExftTyjUmxCROTfOoZm_F9q1KcCLJKsS6cWLnOZF97PxOpfqmebzNRtpzll1__H5W4r8A1L8WgUEIkKk50oT_-CuoV8JorwtbcozTSJXFuQfV7XI3pR3FW3V9mPkjw4SEwX4OmzXwN2zqOt_I3UFfl834KsIB0tjQZpG9rFVf2ITs_mn8CqyZchepNxGjxR0m8uLtYSEyH_z8yKQJKkrp5Mrt3vCUc7WdyDBU1s1LUG9eXsh_lbwA69B2KMThRjymK2UubhO63nLKkttjjNextYQzOpHSyYmmc567tuG-tkuGtroaAQCcw1Cks_yGIqAJKnat43dc4Z7woVgbKwRJKa7u3CybsVunnNfnQMNnFnjqJofA_9KW6pa-8vkGMdbujGkp7SS_gvu54bsd31Jg1LVq9HLNkApGbmkRanYRoGfKT29YoZb1cjOMxIYC8jAhrTGzHajPWZcOmDhjh5HgGmRGqxFU04=w834-h625-no

SVT-gpaXwryXeAnlRsyy24WkyxpHpO5EG-jyx_e8kblIrk8Ne7J9Qx5pTEE4rl-p3PANLfQjsIZ594sThXEZT9gzEJINnczRk-xlbQZ2tsCDu-bO96OEnvWRcbv4yX1l4760MlxAznuNZXm9v_2bdv0G9_ay2vLiBsEnHd5EmpySby8QNbYy5D4GtqR-vDv8e-y5Fx6s2FutbX2z7YWY1s_YlXm7glG76NrzKEXS_ORFQyIgOItABULHjnbG7ICLUW8pU0S3GYTuya-hpa1rxjbOMNopk21s1BTJnf3WnKV39XxCiQxJf4dE7C3bVb986eDrWrWz_usNalaUCUtc931GQ_HzrCxK7moDPiw6Gz6CvD74PzAaFcsfQZxc6mvB88aoyUbtS-tGRRHYXConb3djQnubU4qv7I6_FKx2HCL0gCSvICHIwQzDii7Jlvu8D0ZUCWBfZ2suCjfxZAGr1NIwmCdBdVhgvdVwYXFnT2nOqxntVRhSTxUGIe9EVwTvOdj7cllKH53CFrKWrJrvthgB7NrZG7iE2fi6SxLzvColKQ234TdaVamGHADv8PUCBMcKYSuYpdNaMT66IvAdYgrVLEEkX-cw5bIkbqcXWIy0iBKIQ_GCYgDm_3pThsJjOKW-EsaFL86Vh0Eh0QzVRsUdqO50jIc=w834-h625-no

Last edited:
Look for a used hewes or maverick. U will thank me later. They hold their value than any other flats boat out there. Good luck

Back