OT: Another Wireless question

About how much did you pay for that D.french, ball park it.

I need to get a comp and the only two requirements it needs to fill is 1. Under $1,000 and 2. 1 Gig of ram.

Anyone have suggestions ?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8086612#post8086612 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Letmegrow
About how much did you pay for that D.french, ball park it.

I need to get a comp and the only two requirements it needs to fill is 1. Under $1,000 and 2. 1 Gig of ram.

Anyone have suggestions ?

Just build your own. Also alot of the Big names Manufactures have low priced computers that are better these days. Also, for under a 1000 you can get laptops from sams, and add Ram to come up to gig.

Lon,
Why don't you buy a expander(AKA repeater or Booster). That way you can move your wireless and modem back downstairs, and the expander can go at the top of the basement steps and provide coverage for upstairs. Will probally cost you about the same as a wireless card but give better coverage. because if you had an issue with your laptop up stairs getting signal, you might have the same issue with your computer downstairs getting signal from upstairs. here are a couple of online stores I use when purchasing equipment. They are reliable and inexpensive.

http://www.justdeals.com
http://www.newegg.com
http://www.surpluscomputers.com

steve, you can get a dell with those specs for like 600 bucks, including monitor

its back to school time, check out their site (if you're into dells, I guess)

I have a no name computer built by a friend that owns one of those small computer companies...there were tons in ND, so I would guess there are billions here

beapeams,

is there equipment that exists that would allow him to put his modem downstairs and make a wired connection to his desktop, then run a wired connection upstairs to connect to a wireless access point?

so basically he'd be wired downstairs and wireless everywhere (but better upstairs)?

He could technically do that now. I assume Lon runs a cable from his modem to his wireless hub, and from there he runs a cable to his computer (before he moved modem and wireless upstairs) Most wireless hubs come with at leats 4 ports for connecting computers. It would just be a matter of placing his modem and wireless hub in the room above the computer (if possible) run a lan cable from downstairs to upstairs, and plug it into the wireless hub. Then he would be hard wired for the computer downstairs and get coverage for his laptop upstairs. But it all depends on his equipment and wether he wants to run a line at all. If not he could then get the range booster I mentioned above. But running the line would most likely be the cheapest solution, and would only require 1-3 network cables, and maybe some wall plates depending how he wants to run the cable.

Using current equipment and purchasing cables and wall plates.
122717wiredworld.JPG

With Range booster.
122717wirelessworld.JPG

the last computer i got was a b510 p4 3.0gh processor with 1 gig of ram and 160 gig hard drive didn't come with graphics card so i put a oc 256mb geforce 5500 pci card in it. Caught it on dells back to schools sale for 625.00. But like others said if you know how and have time you can build one for that price that is pretty powerfull. That was my goal to build one for myself between swing shift job and my saltwater tank didn't have time. If you do by one i would go with a dell over hp or gateway though and if anything you can finance through dell for low payment plan thats what i did but paid it of a month later. High end computers our made by alienware and voodoo computer but you can build one just as good for half the price.

if you have a good router you may not need a range booster but there nice to have, hopefully you don't have lynksys there junk.

LOL I have Linksys.. I have had no problems with that. And I also order a Linksys 10/100 compact Network adapter USB100M.

Actually the cable here sucks I could not get a good connections on the cable modem in the basement. I have had them come out and they have fixed it But I need to run a new line in the basement now because that line sucks too. I have all the wire and tools just like the cable company, Just been busy doing other things on the tank and have not had time to rewire the basement bedroom.

If the USB does not work I will have to re-run the lines to make it work.

Steve
Dell always has pretty good deals on there computer.

Back